Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 4 x 10 Speaker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point and great explanation!

It essentially means that in order to produce a sound square-wave, the cone must move at a constant speed during the flat top (constant signal voltage part).
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-23-2019, 04:23 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Good point!

It essentially means that in order to produce a sound square-wave, the cone must move at a constant speed during the flat top (constant signal voltage part).
      Golly is that what happens if you hook up a battery to your speaker terminals? The ultimate square wave as it were. Cone continues to move? Really? Somehow I've missed out on this...

Unless your solid state amp goes DC, we don't get to observe directly what does happen when square waves are applied. A couple decades ago Celestion made an effort to use lasers to observe cone behavior under signal applications. Made for some very interesting photos. I wonder if they tried square waving & what their conclusions were.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        Golly is that what happens if you hook up a battery to your speaker terminals? The ultimate square wave as it were. Somehow I've missed out on this... Someone should try it and SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
        The battery produces an electrical square wave. But the sound square wave will only be short until the cone excursion is stopped by the mechanical counterforces and limits. After all a speaker can't produce enduring air pressure corresponding to DC reproduction. The low frequency limit of the speaker acts like a coupling capacitor, not passing DC but transferring "short" square waves.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-23-2019, 04:22 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That.

A speaker will reproduce *audio* squarewaves, within its frequency range.

By the way, that is what we are speaking here, a speaker reproducing square waves caused by amplifier clipping.

Applying a battery to speaker terminals is not an audio square wave but DC, a completely different issue.

Besides that, if you had no spider or cone edge but free cone+voicecoil and if you have a loooooooonnnnggggg voice coil and apply DC, cone+voicecoil will indefinitely move forward or backwards as long as:

1) DC is applied

2) there is at least some voice coil inside the gap.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Look at the frequency spectrum of a square wave instead of what it looks like on an oscilloscope. On a scope a perfect square wave and a pulsed battery look the same. But they are far from being the same.

Comment

Working...
            X