Favorite AC30 tone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Oh yeah! Hank Marvin... Don't know if that's what he's using on this track, but he sure caught everyone's notice with that outlandish streamlined modern looking guitar in the very late 50's and early 60's.

I was lucky to get to meet the man, twice.
    Pretty positive that’s the clean sound of an AC 30 with top boost through a pair of Alnico Blues.

The AC30 was made for Hank.

So you’ve met the man? What did he say?
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

As a curiosity, I had one of the few models identical to the AC30 manufactured for Hank Marvin by JMI some years ago. Its price was astronomical. It was not damaged or anything like that. He simply brought it to me to supervise it.
      I quickly checked with my Fender and Gibson scopes that the bright channel did not sound as it should (very incisive, abnormal).
      After examining it thoroughly I found that the treble capacitor in the top boost module was a silver mica of 470pf instead of 47 (50)

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        Pretty positive that’s the clean sound of an AC 30 with top boost through a pair of Alnico Blues.

The AC30 was made for Hank.

So you’ve met the man? What did he say?
        Excuse please a moment of

Once in summer '84 when the Shadows were rehearsing at Nomis in west London. Then again backstage '95 at the Shepherds Bush Empire. Both times introduced by Peter Frampton and yes Peter has his red Strat (don't tell anybody it's really a Fernandes) due to Marvin influences. Both times just a "pleased to meet you" from Mr. Marvin. Some ten years later Peter had Hank in studio as a guest artiste on his Grammy winning all-instrumental "Fingerprints" album. Something that should be in everyone's collection. YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKceZTYcqvA . FWIW I see there's now a re-release of Fingerprints with extra tracks. Gonna have to score a copy, that's for sure.

Also not to be neglected, the rare "Theme From Nivram" from Frampton's Shine On collection:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6mHQ4BKG4. Composed via inspiration from England's guitar master, as your ears will quickly tell you.

And this is not enough. This morning whilst snooping Shadows, I ran across their terrific version of Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale." After hearing all sorts of lame covers of this magnificent tune, it sure was a treat to hear what Hank & The Shadows did for it. All instrumental, as they do. Very expressive but not overplayed guitar. Clever score edits near the end keep it from going on too long. Now my 2nd fave version after the original. Have a listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzCAjqoQfE

OK, enough Let's find some more AC30 licks, I'll let yez get onto it.
        Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 03-11-2019, 07:58 PM.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
        X