Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numark USB turntable recording to CD

Hello Folks,
    I wanted to ask if any one may have tried recording vinyl to PC using the Numark turntable with USB out?

If you have done this was it very good sounding?

I am looking for a way to not spend too much time recording my old albums to CD's but getting good results. I have seen the Numark TT for around $169.00 at the local GC.

Thanks

Dave N.

Dave:

Just wondering if it also has a regular analog output (maybe line level as well as phono level). If not, make sure that it will output WAV files as well as MP3- I consider the latter to be completely useless if you need to edit them (as you will).

I've took a quick glance at the Ion (sp?) USB turntables at Best Buy- the case is all plastic- I was not impressed with the tone arm at all.

I have a analog Numark turntable that I use for all of my vinyl rips so I think its a good brand.

I've been using ClickRepair 2.1 to clean up the rips- it removes the crap and leaves the music, but you will probably want to do some manual cleanup after it.

Good luck!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Numark USB turntable

I have that USB turntable and I love it. The software is really easy to use and the end result sounds great.

Comment

...what manner of "software" comes with that package? Couple questions:

1) anything in the way of "noise/pop/click" filters, etc.
        2) what cartridge (shure, etc.) does it come with?
        3) can you 'tweak' the TT "speed / rpm's"?
        ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

simple enough for me...

I bought one and found it simple enough to use.
          Just about plug and play.
          I used the Audacity software that came with it.
          sound soap demos were included but I didn't try them out.
          Some of my old vinyl would have benefited from it.
          It came with what I suppose is a generic cartridge.

Now I can get rid of my Kenwood TT that I bought back in '81.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc View Post
            ... Now I can get rid of my Kenwood TT that I bought back in '81.

Marc
            Ummm... is that a decent turntable with a good cartridge? Were they using the interchangeable headshells back then- or still doing the proprietary thing? I might be interested in buying it from you.

Steve Ahola
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

Any good freeware for pop and click?

I just recently been doing album conversions lately because of a new preamp I just bought. The new ART pre II preamp works awesome to my PC from my old Pioneer PL518 TT to get some great sounds from my albums.

I'm using the Audicity software and it works well. What I need is a good freeware for the pops and clicks as that is the only thing I cannot get around. I Would be using it on Winblows XP.

Just recorded Pete Carr (Not a word on it) from 1976. Sounds sorta like some Jeff beck stuff from the same era and it sounds good but a few pops needing removed and if I could get past that I would be good. I'm about to do some old Jeff Beck albums too and would really like to make them sound awesome if possible like CD.

Any ideas would be great if any one can chime in on this...

Slobrain or nobrain 8-)

BTW, seems to me that having an album is sort of like having the master tapes as the sound on most albums are just hard to beat in sound quality. The ones I've already cut over sound fantastic thru my surround sound system and on my MP3 player too. Just those small little clicks that keep them from sounding perfect....
              Last edited by Slobrain; 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Hey Steve,
                I have been reading about the click repair 2.1 and it seems to have rave reviews from the users. My only question is how well it would work for hard rock or metal music?

I have albums from the 70's/80's and most are in excellent shape but still have a small bit of clicks that bug me. I really wouldn't mind downloading the clickrepair but wanted your opinion of this product and how you feel it effects the sound of the recording.

Thanks

SLO

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
                  I just recently been doing album conversions lately because of a new preamp I just bought. The new ART pre II preamp works awesome to my PC from my old Pioneer PL518 TT to get some great sounds from my albums.

I'm using the Audicity software and it works well. What I need is a good freeware for the pops and clicks as that is the only thing I cannot get around. I Would be using it on Winblows XP.

Just recorded Pete Carr (Not a word on it) from 1976. Sounds sorta like some Jeff beck stuff from the same era and it sounds good but a few pops needing removed and if I could get past that I would be good. I'm about to do some old Jeff Beck albums too and would really like to make them sound awesome if possible like CD.

Any ideas would be great if any one can chime in on this...

Slobrain or nobrain 8-)

BTW, seems to me that having an album is sort of like having the master tapes as the sound on most albums are just hard to beat in sound quality. The ones I've already cut over sound fantastic thru my surround sound system and on my MP3 player too. Just those small little clicks that keep them from sounding perfect....
                  Hey, that was one of the first albums I ripped a few years ago! I also did "Multiple Flash"...

A lot of people are using Click Repair 2.1 set for 20-25 on clean albums. I'll run it a second or third time at 35 and 45 if the album is really scratched up- or if the source tapes for the albums had a lot of clicks and scratches on them.

Different programs use different algorithms in determining what is noise and what is music, and Click Repair seems to make the best guesses.

Cool Edit Pro (now known as Adobe Audition) has the best interface for manual cleanup after a program like Click Repair. Once you have located the general area of the click, switch to spectral view and it shows up as a bright line. Make sure it is not a drum hit, although they usually look different. If it is a sharp click, you can highlight a smaller area in the middle of the bright line which is usually sufficient. If it is a deeper thump you might want to increase the selection so that it completely covers the bright line, and maybe even more. Check your work to make sure you fixed the click and didn't screw anything up. (Too much manual click repair and you start getting dropouts- you can see gaps in the "fabric" of the spectral view.)

HTH

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:

Comment

Hey Steve,
                    Thanks for that info. I decided to try the click repair 2.1 demo and wow what a difference it makes. My Jeff beck (blow by blow) album was pretty scratched up and man it made it sound good again on CD.

The recording process is kinda long and drawn out to get these vinyl to cd but damn its worth it. I have around 350 albums and I've only done about 15 so far all with good results. I even did my old Richard Pryor album (that Ni&&@s crazy 1974). Man I was cracking up on that one. Now I got to do the old Cheech and Chong and George Carlin stuff too.

BTW, I'm gonna do multiple flash too as I also have that album. (Not a word on it) came out around the time JB was doing blow by blow and wired so that must have been the thing around then for the rock fusion guys. Pete Carr is a good player and I found some stuff on the web about him that was interesting.

BTW, what kind of stylus are you using? I've used between a stanton AL500 II, but really like and old shure N97ED as it seem to have more a well rounded tone but I'm always looking for a really good sounding needle and cartrige to switch to that would track great. Any suggestions?

SLO

BTW, The ART pre II preamp I think really makes the difference in my recordings. It works really well and has good control with a gain, a low cut/ flat if needed and a 100PF/200PF switch, not sure what that is for though.

Also what good CD-R brands are there that are long lasting with music data? Once cut these albums I don't want to lose any music and have to re-record this stuff again...
                    Last edited by Slobrain; 01-07-2008, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I wan't ignoring you really....

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                      Ummm... is that a decent turntable with a good cartridge? Were they using the interchangeable headshells back then- or still doing the proprietary thing? I might be interested in buying it from you.

Steve Ahola
                      My first time back this year! I'm starting the year out slack! So, to answer your questions...I think at the time it was a decent turntable. It has an interchangable headshell and I think I put a shure v-15? in it. If I remembered that right it's a miracle. I think I'm going to hang on to it for now....
                      I have to get back to recording with my Numark-my parents sent me home with a stack of shellak records they want converted. I wonder if the record industry will bust me for unauthorised copies....

Marc

Comment

Working...
                      X