Fender Twin 65 Reissue keeps coming back with low reverb level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin 65 Reissue keeps coming back with low reverb level

One of our Fender '65 Reissue Twin Reverbs has once again come back with the same complaint...Low Reverb level. Each time, it has been the new generation crimp-connection Reverb Tank connectors that plug onto the pins of the tiny input/output transformers inside the tank. The last time, barely a week ago, I again pulled them off, exercised them on / off a multitude of times until I got consistent steady DCR readings on the DMM. Then, while still outside the reverb pouch, verified reverb signal, and yanked on the wires going to the connector plugged into the xfmr pins. Besides crashing the reverb, signal remained steady. I had also changed reverb cables, having had that issue as well.

So, it's back again...I think this is 4 times since May 2018, and the first time I had issues with those contacts on this amp was back in 2015. I was ready to have them order more reverb tanks, since they've again run out, and never bother to order more when they exhaust supplies (be it tubes, fuses, reverb tanks, etc). So, I can't just swap out the tank. I think I'll chop off the tiny connector and solder the leads on, which is what I've always had to do when the connectors were IDC type. Maybe this time it will remain working? It is three times back here since Feb 4, 2019. Like a bad penny...keeps rolling back.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Well it could be crappy tinning/plating on the connector or it could be sprung. It hardly matters I probably would have soldered it the second time it came back.

Won't it be eerie when it comes back again with the same complaint, but a different problem
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
      I think I'll chop off the tiny connector and solder the leads on, which is what I've always had to do when the connectors were IDC type. Maybe this time it will remain working? It is three times back here since Feb 4, 2019. Like a bad penny...keeps rolling back.
      I've done that, and sometimes had success. I've also had those type of tanks just plain go bad - open circuit transducers - and sometimes intermittent despite 86'ing the 2 pin connector, soldering directly to the pins. Lately instead of endless faffing, I just swap in a MOD tank and no more problems.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sometimes the connection of the wire to the Molex goes duff. Just chop the little buggers off and solder the leads directly to the pins. We've done it innumerable times.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
          Sometimes the connection of the wire to the Molex goes duff. Just chop the little buggers off and solder the leads directly to the pins. We've done it innumerable times.
          I had done that on the output side of the transformer pins the time before, and this time, the side. The older IDC connectors always had their wires breaking off, so like the rest of us, tinned the wires, soldered them directly, and keep doing it as they invariably break again during transit in the back of the equipment trucks. I keep a stash of 26AWG flexible Mogami lead wire on hand for that on-going surgery.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

This is an ongoing problem. At an Amp show a guy from (IIRC) Red Plate Amps said they had problems with new tanks, got the vendor to use better wire by special order. I had a similar issue on a Two Rock amp.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
            X