Damaged Resistor In EV Crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Resistor In EV Crossover

I have been searching for a replacement of a damaged resistor for an EV crossover.

The two resistors on the left seem to be bent out of shape. Hopefully, they can be nudged back upright without further damage. But as you can see, the resistor on the right (10 ohm, 20 watt) appears to be beyond repair. I was thinking that I save the legs, cut our the resistor piece, then solder in a regular ole Ceramic resistor across the existing legs.

Any other ideas?

Tom
    Attached Files

That will work. But have you looked for a resistor with legs like that? They may be available.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks Greg....

I am hoping I can straighten the legs on two of the three resistors and that they are ok. For the third, I will cut out the "resistor" piece and try to solder the replacement onto the existing legs. I'll make it work.

I picked up some old Electro-Voice S-122 (12" woofer) cabs that did not have the crossover units. The big brother to this cab (the S-152, 15" version) uses the same components and circuitry for the crossover even though the Xover says "152" instead of "122." The nice thing with using the original Xover is that it fits into the existing cutout without mods to the cabinet!!

Tom

Comment

Straighten at your own risk.
        I gave up trying to straighten bent pot shafts that were still usable as they often broke. The legs on those resistors only need to offer rigid support and keep the heat off the board.
        I only say this because I think that the metal on these type of legs is a bit more brittle than the normally bendy type leads we are used to.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That^^^

WHy bend them again? Leave them leaning like that, the resistors don't care, and every time you flex the metal legs, you are that much closeer to metal-fatigue snapping it off.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Even better, search Mouser catalog for same resistors with same strong legs, order all 6 of them (3 per cabinet) and sleep like a baby

Cheap insurance.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Even better, search Mouser catalog for same resistors with same strong legs, order all 6 of them (3 per cabinet) and sleep like a baby

Cheap insurance.
              Those look like R.G. Allen / Micron Power Resistors with the legs. I see some in this Micron Power Resistor sheet at R.G. Allen:
              http://www.rg-allen.com/rg-allen-res...resistors.html
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Do they sell in small amounts?
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

DigiKey has them
                  It's the SQZ series of snap in resistors.
                  https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...W2010RJ&v=1712
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	SQZW2010RJ_sml.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	853297

Comment

Thank you Gents.... I will take a look at Digikey and R.G Allen.

Much appreciated....

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                      DigiKey has them
                      It's the SQZ series of snap in resistors.
                      https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...W2010RJ&v=1712
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]52844[/ATTACH]
                      A lot of the older tv's used these type of resistors......I believe I still have some but not in the value for a crossover....I use one for a cap discharge tool.....220 ohm at 30 Watts...it is a big sucker.....

Comment

Working...
                      X