Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filter Capacitor Values-- Is it worth tweaking values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the limited screen real estate and the sometimes awkward display options, I've used my phone only via the built-in mic. Close enough to accurate for me. Besides, aren't phones supposed to be wireless?

edit: but seriously, probably good enough to get evidence that low ripple harmonics are present.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwitch View Post
      Wow do I wish I could afford a spectrum analyzer
      Or some bear fat!
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

What I mean is less hum (120hz) overall, I’ve noticed that the higher the filter value, the more compressed, almost squashed the tone of the amp becomes.
        I noticed something similar in vintage PP tube amps, but prefer to describe the effect of higher cap values as less attack responsive. My explanation is the influence of the filter on the time constant of the sag induced screen compression.

So my answer to the original question is YES.

To ensure reproducibility of results the actual cap values should be measured with a good LCR meter.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X