Thread: Fender Blues Deville power transformer

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Arrow Fender Blues Deville power transformer

I am building an amp using circuit boards and original output transformer from a 1994 Fender Blues Deville. I don't need a 60 watt amp. Can I use a power transformer from a Blues Deluxe to reduce wattage? Will it be compatible with the original Blues Deville output transformer or should I also buy a Blues Deluxe OT? Many thanks for your help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 156/0
    Given: 94/1
    The B+ isn't much different between the two, 427V vs 471V. The Blues Deville OT will tend to pull too much current. The Blues Deluxe OT is a much better match for the Blues Deluxe PT.

WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,131/1
    Given: 690/2
    The Blues Deville OT will tend to pull too much current.
    I don't think so. The influence of OT size and efficiency on power supply current is insignificant.

- Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,829/4
    Given: 2,058/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post
    I don't think so. The influence of OT size and efficiency on power supply current is insignificant.
    I expect loudthud is considering a certain (incompatible?) tube relative the OT's load and the final affect on the whole circuit.?. I wasn't clear on it either but Mr. thud knows his stuff so I'm sure there's logic that wasn't made clear.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 557/5
    Given: 1,014/9
    They both use a pair of 6L6GC... And does an OT "pull current," or do the power tubes do that?

This was in response to Chuck's mention of different "(incompatible?)" power tubes.

Justin

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,829/4
    Given: 2,058/0
    I admit I didn't look into it. I just grabbed at the first thing I could think of to make sense of things.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,283/21
    Given: 3,195/8
    Maybe having to do with the primary Z of the OT?

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,131/1
    Given: 690/2
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Maybe having to do with the primary Z of the OT?
    The 2 OTs are used by Fender in essentially the same power circuit, the main difference being about 10% less HT voltage in the Blues Deluxe. I assume that both OTs have a primary Z of 4 k to 5k.
    Even if the primary Z would differ by say 20%, the current source character of pentodes/tetrodes wouldn't allow for much influence of load Z on (total supply) current. The Blues Deville OT may have 5% less losses and thus produce 5% more output but also this would not reflect in different supply current as the power input to both OTs would be the same.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-10-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Thumbs up Fender Blues Deville power transformer

Quote Originally Posted by lexluthier2019 View Post
    I am building an amp using circuit boards and original output transformer from a 1994 Fender Blues Deville. I don't need a 60 watt amp. Can I use a power transformer from a Blues Deluxe to reduce wattage? Will it be compatible with the original Blues Deville output transformer or should I also buy a Blues Deluxe OT? Many thanks for your help.
    Many thanks to all for responding to my question and for your advice. I truly appreciate it. As the cost for a just a power transformer for a Blues Deville is similar to the cost for Blues Deluxe power and output transformers together I can now make a better decision as to what to order. This will be an interesting project.

Thread Information