Fender Blues Deville power transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Deville power transformer

I am building an amp using circuit boards and original output transformer from a 1994 Fender Blues Deville. I don't need a 60 watt amp. Can I use a power transformer from a Blues Deluxe to reduce wattage? Will it be compatible with the original Blues Deville output transformer or should I also buy a Blues Deluxe OT? Many thanks for your help.

The B+ isn't much different between the two, 427V vs 471V. The Blues Deville OT will tend to pull too much current. The Blues Deluxe OT is a much better match for the Blues Deluxe PT.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The Blues Deville OT will tend to pull too much current.
      I don't think so. The influence of OT size and efficiency on power supply current is insignificant.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        I don't think so. The influence of OT size and efficiency on power supply current is insignificant.
        I expect loudthud is considering a certain (incompatible?) tube relative the OT's load and the final affect on the whole circuit.?. I wasn't clear on it either but Mr. thud knows his stuff so I'm sure there's logic that wasn't made clear.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

They both use a pair of 6L6GC... And does an OT "pull current," or do the power tubes do that?

This was in response to Chuck's mention of different "(incompatible?)" power tubes.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I admit I didn't look into it. I just grabbed at the first thing I could think of to make sense of things.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Maybe having to do with the primary Z of the OT?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Maybe having to do with the primary Z of the OT?
                The 2 OTs are used by Fender in essentially the same power circuit, the main difference being about 10% less HT voltage in the Blues Deluxe. I assume that both OTs have a primary Z of 4 k to 5k.
                Even if the primary Z would differ by say 20%, the current source character of pentodes/tetrodes wouldn't allow for much influence of load Z on (total supply) current. The Blues Deville OT may have 5% less losses and thus produce 5% more output but also this would not reflect in different supply current as the power input to both OTs would be the same.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-09-2019, 10:16 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Fender Blues Deville power transformer

Originally posted by lexluthier2019 View Post
                  I am building an amp using circuit boards and original output transformer from a 1994 Fender Blues Deville. I don't need a 60 watt amp. Can I use a power transformer from a Blues Deluxe to reduce wattage? Will it be compatible with the original Blues Deville output transformer or should I also buy a Blues Deluxe OT? Many thanks for your help.
                  Many thanks to all for responding to my question and for your advice. I truly appreciate it. As the cost for a just a power transformer for a Blues Deville is similar to the cost for Blues Deluxe power and output transformers together I can now make a better decision as to what to order. This will be an interesting project.

Comment

Working...
                  X