Swr workingmans twelve 94 trs jacks problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swr workingmans twelve 94 trs jacks problem

Hello - I am a better musician than electronics repairer, I'll try to make this brief. My 94 vintage amp has had two 1/4 Trs inputs, one totally crumbled, the other similarly falling apart, so I ordered new ones from Allied and started putting it all back together. I was substantially done, and had one of the two inputs working just fine when I held it just right, then after a bit of fumbling neither of them worked. On my amp the jacks are not soldered to a pcb, they are just locknutted through the front plate. I have not located a schematic that is for the correct year, there is one for the '03 version. The two TRS input jacks are kind of wired parallel and also jumpered over to a "tuner" input and an XLR DI input. My fear is that I have one (or more ) of the connections wrong, except that, as I say, I had the one TRS jack that connects directly to the volume pot pcb and to the house ground working like a champ briefly. Before I chuck my beloved amp, I thought I would check and see if there were someone who might suggest how I have muffed such a simple task and, perhaps, work toward a basic grasp of the elements of the nearby components to which the inputs are connected. The 1/4 TRS inputs have two sides, the "tip" side and the "ring/sleeve"side, and are on one side connected to the condenser pot array pcb, and also to a bigger black wire which goes to the house ground, and then there are two connector wires ( signal and ground ? ) to the main pcb, one marked "IN " and one unmarked. "IN" is a single conductor where it connects to the main board but oddly has a an extra bare wire coming out the other end where it goes to the TRS jack. The other unmarked wire is a simple pair going between each side (signal and ground?) of the TRS jack and two nearby corresponding terminals on the circuit board. I had a 50 percent chance of guessing it right, but I didn't. I could post some illustrative closeups of what I am seeing if that would help.
    '''
    Last edited by marcbachman; 03-09-2019, 04:09 AM. Reason: clearer description

Welcome to the forum, yes please post some pics, may be very helpful . And just for future reference, I've always found it helpful to take pics before going into projects .
    Last edited by shortcircuit; 03-09-2019, 12:56 PM.
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
      Welcome to the forum, yes please post some pics, may be very helpful . And just for future reference, I've always found it helpful to take pics before going into projects I'm not familiar with .
      I have these two SWR Workingman's files....the Owner's for the Workingman's 10, 12 & 15, along with the schematic for the '15. It doesn't show the T/S input jacks, though it shows the PCB terminals that they connect to.

swr-workingmans-15-schematics.pdf
      wm10_12_15_om.pdf
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I'd also point out that to someone not too familiar with these, it would be easy to confuse a switched TS jack with a TRS type.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X