New production Brimar tubes (valves?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New production Brimar tubes (valves?)

I'm wondering if you guys in the UK have had any experience with the new Brimar production tubes? I'm interested to know and would love to get my hands on some, but they won't ship to the US at the moment. I had some old 12AX7s which were fantastic sounding. But like many of my old noval preamp tubes, they have gone microphonic and aren't really usable any longer.
    Any opinions on the quality, noise testing, etc??
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

It sure would be terrific if these new Brimars were as good as the good ol' days. OTOH any time something "new" comes out we're often disappointed to find it's some SOS tube that has some famous company's name printed on the glass. Like those "Telefunkens" from Connecticut that are really JJ's that have been supposedly cryo soaked in liquid nitrogen, or any number of offerings from New Sensor. Any links to info/dealers?
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

https://brimaruk.com/valves/

https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/great-...lve-project-2/
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

From the site: "Our aim is to produce high quality vacuum tubes at an affordable price right here in Great Britain..."

Interesting though that they designate the 12ax7 and the ecc83 as different tubes.?. My understanding has always been that those have ALWAYS and ONLY been different monikers for the same tube. So what is the difference between these tubes? Well they say that their 12ax7 is a "long plate" and "spiral filament" tube with high gain and that their ecc83 is of more modest gain with a "classic plate" and "soft anode" (?). This is starting to get a little jargon-y for me, but not so bad I can't let it go for now. I have to honestly wonder if they're making these tubes in good ol' Great Britain fo reals though as much of their hype indicates that they aren't set up there yet, but rather that it is their ultimate goal. So these may be just more Rusky tubes made on old salvaged factory equipment long ago shipped off to the mother land. And that hasn't always worked out.

"Now that we have presses, grid winders, out-gass, bulb making, etc. machines located in our West Midlands base we need to get on with their refurbishment and building all the ancillary facilities, equipment, QA procedures etc. that will bring our manufacturing into the 21st century. We now need to assemble a small army of volunteers with experience in project management, fund raising, finance, negotiation, law, production engineers, etc."

I fear this may just be a new angle for the purpose of peddling the same old Rusky Mullard labeled stuff and the like that can be bought for less elsewhere.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 03-09-2019, 02:11 PM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          I fear this may just be a new angle for the purpose of peddling the same old Rusky Mullard labeled stuff and the like that can be bought for less elsewhere.
          Why does this remind me more than just a little bit, of the Blackburn Mullard "revival" some 10-15 years ago. Those who were - claiming to - restart the old tube factory stirred up quite a lot of interest in the hi fi world. A lot of blather, then some "samples" were shipped. Those who received them gave glowing reviews, greatest thing since sliced cheese etc etc. And about the time anticipated to go full steam, the whole thing broke down and nothing further happened. A plan to bilk investors maybe? Well that worked so well, let's try it again. After all "we need volunteers." That should say something right there. I have my skeptic hat on, and there it will stay until proven otherwise.

Also see: "Northern Electric" 12AX7. Started hmm, I guess 10-15 years ago. Maybe still around. Presumably made on a special independent (non Shuguang) Chinese production line, sold for typically $60-75 each. Haven't heard much about them recently either. Not too many musos want to throw that kind of money to try out some upstart tube that claims to be all that and a bag of chimps.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Not too many musos want to throw that kind of money to try out some upstart tube that claims to be all that and a bag of chimps.
            Uh, I think you mean "a barrel of chips".?.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Uh, I think you mean "a barrel of chips".?.
              Learned it from Missus Malaprop. Looks like you met her too?

Bowdlerizing is another fun pastime. And mixing metaphors with a big wooden paddle. Smaller batches done with a runcible spoon. Never a dull moment of inertia, not around here.
              Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 03-09-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I think they are still a long way from production.
                Near as I can tell, they are currently a test/match/rebrander hoping to finance a production attempt.

From the FAQ:

"Are any valves made in the UK?

Unfortunately not at the moment but we hope to start manufacturing in 2019. Making valves is a very complex business and even though we have the machines, this is still only 30% of the tools, equipment and processes that we need to have in place to create a stable and consistent product. The Great British Valve Project is steadily working towards this goal but in the mean time, please continue to support us by purchasing our fantastic value valves."

"Who makes your valves?

It is company policy not to identify any of our suppliers around the world who produce components and products to our specification.

All our valves, before being put through our in-depth finishing processes, are checked visually and electrically then finally branded branded and packaged. Confidence in our QA process and products allows us to provide a warranty on all valves."
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  I think they are still a long way from production.
                  Near as I can tell, they are currently a test/match/rebrander hoping to finance a production attempt.

From the FAQ:

"Are any valves made in the UK?

Unfortunately not at the moment but we hope to start manufacturing in 2019. Making valves is a very complex business and even though we have the machines, this is still only 30% of the tools, equipment and processes that we need to have in place to create a stable and consistent product. The Great British Valve Project is steadily working towards this goal but in the mean time, please continue to support us by purchasing our fantastic value valves."

"Who makes your valves?

It is company policy not to identify any of our suppliers around the world who produce components and products to our specification.

All our valves, before being put through our in-depth finishing processes, are checked visually and electrically then finally branded branded and packaged. Confidence in our QA process and products allows us to provide a warranty on all valves."
                  Translation:

This is going to be so great when it happens and THAT'S what we're selling you. Even though it hasn't happened yet. But it's going to be great. Just enjoy this product from no fixed address with no quantified qualifications for now and we promise you'll be happy. Thanks! You guys are really great. This is going to be really great.

Comment

Chuck you should be selling vacuum. Not tubes or cleaners, just the nothingness.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Chuck you should be selling vacuum. Not tubes or cleaners, just the nothingness.
                      Sounds like religion. Or at least the way it's promoted. Pass the Lord, and praise the ammunition!

Love the way Brimar's blurb so easily skips back and forth between present and future tense. Reminds me of the kid who found an old steering wheel in the woods, and got all worked up about how he's gonna restore the whole car. Yeah, it's gonna be fabulous! I can't wait...

Comment

I can tell you within three guesses where they're made...

Just like those "Mullard" "reissue" "6L6GCs."

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                          Why does this remind me more than just a little bit, of the Blackburn Mullard "revival" some 10-15 years ago. Those who were - claiming to - restart the old tube factory stirred up quite a lot of interest in the hi fi world. A lot of blather, then some "samples" were shipped. Those who received them gave glowing reviews, greatest thing since sliced cheese etc etc. And about the time anticipated to go full steam, the whole thing broke down and nothing further happened. A plan to bilk investors maybe? Well that worked so well, let's try it again. After all "we need volunteers." That should say something right there. I have my skeptic hat on, and there it will stay until proven otherwise.

Also see: "Northern Electric" 12AX7. Started hmm, I guess 10-15 years ago. Maybe still around. Presumably made on a special independent (non Shuguang) Chinese production line, sold for typically $60-75 each. Haven't heard much about them recently either. Not too many musos want to throw that kind of money to try out some upstart tube that claims to be all that and a bag of chimps.
                          Well at least they tried-and tried pretty hard unlike these "Brimars" which aren't Brimars -just rebranded as of yet. Anyhow I received multiple samples of the Techtube for testing/reviewing. The goal was to give honest feedback so they could tweak the design. Ironically the initial samples gave their own feedback being prone to excessive microphonics. As a guitarist I found them to be a bit too "Hi Fi" sounding but it was an innovative try. The design was nothing like old Blackburn tubes - Bottom line it was a valiant effort they couldnt turn profitable quickly enough. As I was involved it was a sad thing to see. Bob

"Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rockon1 View Post
                            Ironically the initial samples gave their own feedback being prone to excessive microphonics.
                            Excellent turn of phrase. Gets my vote.

Comment

I'll guess the packaging co$ts more than the actual tube/valve does.
                              ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Working...
                              X