• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akai S900 non functioning and blocks on display

Hello

This is a bit out of my comfort zone.
    Regular customer asked me a few weeks ago to re cap his psu for this unit
    which i did and could not test as i just had the psu pcb without an transformer
    It was checked over about twice and all was correct
    On fitting he said all was well and no issues. for a few weeks
    He decided to change the floppy drive for a usb .
    He did that himself .
    After he did that he said that the unit stop functioning and the display got all scrabbled
    The leds on the front seem to flickering

He brought it in to me.

I have tested the psu and all voltages are correct , checked all connections and looked over for dry colder joints/ broken wires etc

To be fair its out of my comfort zone, I would normally not touch,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5998.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	874433
    This is a link to a PDF on the net
    http://www.polynominal.com/site/stud...ice-manual.pdf

many thanks in advance

bbb
    Last edited by blindboybenton; 03-09-2019, 11:41 AM.

Originally posted by blindboybenton View Post
    Hello

This is a bit out of my comfort zone.
    Regular customer asked me a few weeks ago to re cap his psu for this unit
    which i did and could not test as i just had the psu pcb without an transformer
    It was checked over about twice and all was correct
    On fitting he said all was well and no issues. for a few weeks
    He decided to change the floppy drive for a usb .
    He did that himself .
    After he did that he said that the unit stop functioning and the display got all scrabbled
    The leds on the front seem to flickering

He brought it in to me.

I have tested the psu and all voltages are correct , checked all connections and looked over for dry colder joints/ broken wires etc

To be fair its out of my comfort zone, I would normally not touch,
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]52847[/ATTACH]
    This is a link to a PDF on the net

many thanks in advance

bbb
    Logically going forward, all he did was change the floppy drive for a usb. Do you have the floppy drive? Can you reattach it and see what happens?
    The floppy connector typically has a +5 and a +12 while USb typically has +5v.
    Look at the plug and see how feasible it is that is was plugged in reverse.

Check the board for regulators and see if they're putting out correct voltage, reseat connectors verify correctly inserted, etc etc..

nosaj
    Click image for larger version

Name:	floppypower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	853300

Oh and this might help
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

thanks Nosaj
      The first thing i did was remove the usb module that was fitted and i don't have the floppy, about a decade ago i would of had one in my bits draw.
      all voltages on the psu board are present and correct one of the first things i checked.
      One thing stuck in my mind, when he dropped it off, he said he changed the floppy to usb, not 100% if he said did somehing else aswell

Comment

Originally posted by blindboybenton View Post
        thanks Nosaj
        The first thing i did was remove the usb module that was fitted and i don't have the floppy, about a decade ago i would of had one in my bits draw.
        all voltages on the psu board are present and correct one of the first things i checked.
        One thing stuck in my mind, when he dropped it off, he said he changed the floppy to usb, not 100% if he said did somehing else aswell
        Well at this point I would check voltages at the LCD module, possibly read through the service manual I sent. I've got to go to Chuckie Cheese for a party, yay!

nosaj

Please disconnect and reconnect every cable in the box. Then follow up with any change in operation.
        Thanks
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Whenever you work on something and it all of a sudden has a new problem, it almost always is something you did. He might have misconnected a cable, might have broken a solder joint, etc. May have caused a static discharge that scrambled memory.

Fist thing I'd do would be re-initialize the unit - "restore factory settings" in many manuals.

And Nosaj is right, reseat all the connectors.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

scrolling through MEF this morning and i realized that i didn't update on this one. Customer sent the LCD unit back too his supplier and it was faulty. New one was supplied and fitted and all is working
            BBB

Comment

Working...
            X