mesa rocket 44 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa rocket 44 help

I have no heater VAC on v1 and v2 but have it on v3 and v4............

they are in DC voltage

Comment

I see it now I downloaded a schematic......The amp's power tubes are redplating though I have the followimng voltages and could use some guidance troubleshooting pin 2 -11vdc pin 7 483vdc and pin 9 452 vdc

Comment

Originally posted by etneccas View Post
        I see it now I downloaded a schematic......The amp's power tubes are redplating though I have the followimng voltages and could use some guidance troubleshooting pin 2 -11vdc pin 7 483vdc and pin 9 452 vdc
        can you post the schematic for us??
        If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Bias sounds ok, but plate voltage is crazy high.
          https://music-electronics-forum.com/...0&d=1258342282
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

leave tubes out until you get the plate voltage right,start measuring from the HV secondary AC,then check diodes and resistors,ground connections.

Comment

Mesa runs their old EL84 amps insanely hot and they eat output tubes.

Install a bias adjust pot/circuit and set bias to proper level.
              You probably need new output tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                Mesa runs their old EL84 amps insanely hot and they eat output tubes.
                Around 400V for this model as far as I know. Schematic shows 380V. He is measuring 480V plate. I can't see that as normal for this model.
                Not saying adjustable bias is not a good idea, just don't think the 480V at the plates is right. Maybe oscillation.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yeah as drewl mentioned they run them insanely hot. My DC-3 was 420VDC on the plates and only -11 as designed. No tubes would run less than 110%. The neg grid voltage needs to be at least -14 not -11 vdc thats not enough. That said 483vdc is WAY above design- unless the OP measured without the tubes in place? Bob
                  "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

My Bad the volt measurements were without the power tubes in....Pin9 is 320vdc and pin 7 is 400vdc the functioning but is very crackily and distorted on the contour channelive swapped the preamp tubes around and still have the problem There is a copper foil shield on V2 that tube base makes a similiar sound of cracking when I chopstick it I'll try to retension the socket

Comment

Originally posted by etneccas View Post
                      My Bad the volt measurements were without the power tubes in....Pin9 is 320vdc and pin 7 is 400vdc the functioning but is very crackily and distorted on the contour channelive swapped the preamp tubes around and still have the problem There is a copper foil shield on V2 that tube base makes a similiar sound of cracking when I chopstick it I'll try to retension the socket
                      OK thats about spec at 400vdc. The bias is just tooo low from the factory. Had the same issue with my DC-3. Any tubes I tried (even low current draw) were over 100% dissipation! Eventually modded the bias supply with help from guys here. As far as crackling- you might have bad solder joints on the sockets or just dirty/loose ones. Disclaimer- Dangerous voltages inside even unplugged. Do not go messing around inside unlerss you know how to discharge the capacitors!
                      Bob

Comment

Retensioned the socket and reflowed the socket pins one of them is still not shiny there is less craclking but still there V2 makes alot noise when chopstick it........

Comment

Take a good look around. The amp gets really hot which translates into some decent temp swings on the board. I use really good light and two pairs of readers (yep, probably looks ridiculous) when hunting for cracked solder joints.

Comment

One thing I will mention about these is that the PI tube current affects the bias. So if you have a change in the bias condition out of the blue, it could be PI tube related.

Comment

That is correct, but when I have increased the bias voltage, lowering current draw, the PI cathode voltage remains the stated 3 volts.

Comment

Working...
                              X