Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing transformers: is mercury magnetics a snake oil scheme?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,264/21
    Given: 1,126/0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepukmel View Post
    Then I shoulda got heyboers and had some end bells made up painted with the big M.
    Have some decals made up. These days you can do it on your computer.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/0
    Given: 208/0
    Then I shoulda got heyboers and had some end bells made up painted with the big M.
    Or do something like that. You can add a copper flux band with a big M logo anytime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190328_212545.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	53169

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 706/1
    Given: 578/1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdf64 View Post
    I was surprised by the tonal difference too; for the MM just pipped the Weber, it seemed to have pleasing mid range resonance, whereas yes, the Triode was noticeably less appealing than either.
    I wish he'd checked / reported on the winding ratios.
    I see the Weber and Triode are both 6.6K whereas the MM is 8k. Worthy of note is that both the Weber and Triode are fully steel enclosed (less radiation) whereas the MM is not.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 213/5
    Given: 246/1
    if the transformers don't have the same primary impedance how is it fair to evaluate them? It seems that of course they would sound different

That's like saying an orange drop capacitor sounds better than a panasonic but thte panasonic is .1uF and the orange drop was .022

Also, and I know I'm nitpicking, but the audio example of the person playing the riff should be recorded and played back for all the different sound tests so it's actually played the same, same inflection, same volume of notes due to how hard the pick attack is, etc.

It seems like it would be easy to play the riff slightly softer and then one OT is "warmer" sounding.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nsubulysses; 03-29-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 156/0
    Given: 2,332/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nsubulysses View Post
    They said in the ad that sometimes you should replace a "tired" old choke. This company should be sued and put out of business. They still don't publish any specs on their site because it's not aimed at tech people which would see through their idiotic marketing bluster in an instant. They are trying to attract the "cool, rock guitar guy," or the endlessly searching tone hound-type. So basically people that don't know how to change a plate or cathode resistor and actually adjust the sound of their amp

Edit: two seconds on their site and I come across this. I remember I saw this a couple years ago and also got mad:

I am no doctor but I thought ear fatigue had to do with high SPL for extended periods of time. Not if the amp had a MM transformer or not

Edit again: I am laughing thinking of EVERY classic amp that everyone loves the sound of that doesnt' come with a MM transformer. Do any famous, legendary, desirable, etc amps actually come with MM transformers?

Re: "It's the output transformer's job to emphasize the even-order harmonics and make tones more musical, appealing, and less fatiguing." Oh man. Heh. What was that joke post "My amp has bloom and sunshine". I wonder if ear fatigue is related to over bloom or under sunshine or both?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,103/4
    Given: 2,398/0
    I wonder if ear fatigue is related to over bloom or under sunshine or both?
    My first laugh of the day Thank you!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thread Information