No announcement yet.

Vox Phantom IV bass pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story is that the Phantom started life in the Uk in 1962 and origionaly had chrome covered pups. these were redisigned very early on to resemble the fender pups of which I found a boxfull in the old factory. Got about 4 left now and all are new but been floating around in a cupboard for years.
    In 1965 it was moved to Eko as you said in Italy and they are the common ones to be found these days and bodies and necks and complete guitars fron origional stock are still to be had now from Brandoni's in the Uk. Eko also made the teardrop. These things do travelas I know there was also some made in the USA and I think that was by Korg but I cannot confirm it. I know the Brit ones were sycamore bodies and necks with rio rosewood fingerboards as I got a lot of that stock, but 100s of bodies and necks were sent to the heating furnace as nobody wanted them or wanted to store them but past history and lots of regrets about that one.

Comment

johnson, that's fascinating info. i think i'll build a 32" scale version for myself. I've even got some sycamore that's begging for a project like that. Were the Brit ones solid or hollow bodied. The italian ones are hollow and that's a part of the sound I think.

What I really want is a Vox Apollo like Colin Moulding's. Any idea what the scale length and PU on those was?

Comment

The phantom was a solid body unlike the teardrop. and the Apollo was hollow with a very skinny neck pretty sure it was 30in scale but will check it out. Pickups were Vox ferro sonics but not seen them for years but will check if there are any bits still around.
        Attached Files

Comment

David. Vox(eko)Phantom and teardrop guitar Bodies and necks are still available as are Phantom bass necks, also some 60s bass pups but would guess being Italian they are the sealed type as the ones you have there, but, hardware not around so down to cloning I'd say. No Apollo stuff around but the phantom neck should fit most Vox(Eko) basses.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            johnson, that's fascinating info. i think i'll build a 32" scale version for myself. I've even got some sycamore that's begging for a project like that. Were the Brit ones solid or hollow bodied. The italian ones are hollow and that's a part of the sound I think.

What I really want is a Vox Apollo like Colin Moulding's. Any idea what the scale length and PU on those was?
            David, are you an XTC fan too? They are one of my favorite bands. Colin gets a great sound on that Vox! I liked the Epiphone Newport he had too. I put a Gibson Sidewinder in my Ric to get that Black Sea tone.

I had a stereo Phantom XII. It was Italian made, and was a solid body. I think it was a '66.

It had the same style pickups, only they were split coil like a P bass because it was stereo. I had rewired it to put both halves in series, they worked like humbuckers and sounded really good. It was a bit thin sounding originally. These pickups were not sealed either. I was able to open them up.

(this was taken with a really cheap digital camera before I sold the Vox)
            Attached Files
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

jonson,
              I'd be interested in getting hold of a replacement Eko Phantom body and pick-guard if it's not too unreasonable. This bass is not going to make it into the next decade the way it's headed. Please let me know how I would go about obtaining one. Thanks, David

I guess I should explain that the plastic hollow body is slowly deforming under the string tension. The plastic resin is gassing off on the inside and from what I understand is not long for this world once that de-polymerization process gets started. Since all the other parts are original and in perfect shape I'd hate to just part it out.

As far as building a second one, I discovered that someone in Oregon is importing an Asian copy of the Phantom that's all wood with the 32" scale for $600. http://phantomguitars.com
              Last edited by David King; 11-27-2007, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Hi David let me make the ness enquiries and I will come back to you.

Comment

I will give the guys a call tomorrow as I'm sure its guitar bodies and bass necks but will find out for you. If they have them I will sort prices and get back to you.

Comment

johnson! do you still have any vox phantom bass pickups? I am searching for a bridge pickup and a pickguard. Thanks!

Comment

Pretty sure I may have one or two tucked away so will look this weekend. Scratchplate no but if I can find a pattern then not a difficult one to run off. Will get back to you.

Comment

In Need of Vox Bass Pickup for Bill Wyman and Phantom Basses!

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                        Pretty sure I may have one or two tucked away so will look this weekend. Scratchplate no but if I can find a pattern then not a difficult one to run off. Will get back to you.
                        Hi jonson,

I just came across this thread. I own 2 UK Vox Bill Wyman basses and now picked up one of the Vox 50th Anniversary Bill Wyman Reissues that came out 10 years ago. I also have a couple of Phantomguitars.com Phantom and Teardrop Copies.
                        The Vox Reissue and the 2 Phantomguitars.com bass have an output issue. They have half the volume as my originals!! I am in dire need of those originals pickups or someone you can duplicate them. I tried Seymour Duncan and they refuse to help.

Do you have any of these pickups left or know of someone who can duplicate them?

Comment

Originally posted by marvinbass View Post
                          Hi jonson,

I just came across this thread. I own 2 UK Vox Bill Wyman basses and now picked up one of the Vox 50th Anniversary Bill Wyman Reissues that came out 10 years ago. I also have a couple of Phantomguitars.com Phantom and Teardrop Copies.
                          The Vox Reissue and the 2 Phantomguitars.com bass have an output issue. They have half the volume as my originals!! I am in dire need of those originals pickups or someone you can duplicate them. I tried Seymour Duncan and they refuse to help.

Do you have any of these pickups left or know of someone who can duplicate them?
                          Jonson my dear friend, Passed away I think, in April of 2015.
                          He was a very helpful member, and speaking for the group, we all miss him!
                          Maybe someone else can help that hangs out here?
                          T
                          http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39980/
                          Last edited by big_teee; 08-17-2017, 01:02 AM.
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Oh No! Sorry to hear this. I know the last post was back in 2011. I came late to the party I guess. Thank You for your response. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by marvinbass View Post
                              I am in dire need of those originals pickups or someone you can duplicate them. I tried Seymour Duncan and they refuse to help. Do you have any of these pickups left or know of someone who can duplicate them?
                              I find hard to believe that the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop would REFUSE to do anything. Who did you talk to? Care to explain?

Anyway, the next to contact are the following:

Jason Lollar, Lollar guitars: http://www.lollarguitars.com/

James Finnerty, Re-Wind pickups: http://www.re-wind.net/index.html

Both are known to make and/or repair one-offs.

HTH,
                              Last edited by LtKojak; 08-17-2017, 01:12 PM.
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Just rereading this thread and feel the loss all over again. johnson had written to me privately several times to tell me about the huge collection of pickup data that he'd acquired in his lifetime and had hoped to post on our short-lived pickupedia.info pages. If you have history around you don't wait to collect it and write it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X