Thumbs up for ZT Amplifiers tech support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbs up for ZT Amplifiers tech support

I think we had a thread a while back about companies that gave really good support but I can't find it. Just wanted to give a shout out to Austin at ZT for really going above and beyond on a Lunchbox 2 repair. He has helped me in the past as well and just really helpful and really wants to know what kinds of issues the amps are having in the field.

Do you have a schematic and/or gutshots available?
    Just curious about them.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Schematics were shared with me with confidentiality agreement, so I can't share. They are rockin' little amps though. I found the Lunchbox Jr. a little limited, all cut and not enough low frequency, mostly good for a small jam session or stage volume for a small gig and lined out to the PA. I've been playing bass with a jazz/blues group and the lead guitar player plays with the 200W Lunchbox (basically same as I am working on). His sound is super tight, but he is also a really good player. For the jazz jams he uses a pedalboard and a 335 style guitar, have also heard him plug a tele straight into it and it sounds great for that too. Other guitar guy (not as good a player) is using boutique tube amps and the ZT sounds flat better. Based on the components in it the 200W is not RMS.

I hope that I can get mine working, I got it as project and the guy shipped it so poorly I ended up getting it for basically nothing, but don't know if it will be recoverable. The speaker was flopping loose and smashed the EEPROM that controls the digital audio chip. Austin is actually burning me a replacement since they don't stock them (he had never seen a failure like this). I'm hoping the speaker isn't trashed (it makes some sound but have not been able to verify it is all OK). Sad thing was before the guy shipped it the only thing wrong was probably the input jack.

I guess a close comparison would be to a GK 250ML. I think the ZT is a bit more classic sounding and versatile. The GK has *that* sound that it does well but maybe less range.
      Last edited by glebert; 03-13-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Cool.
        Maybe we can still get a couple gut pictures?

As of the speaker, I read a lot about it and so far I guess itīs a modded Eminence based on the 6" Alpha midrange but with open frame (like a regular speaker) instead of a closed back so itīs both loud/efficient and has *some* Bass ... at least usable with electric guitar.

I guess the amp is attenuated below 200Hz or so.

As of power, reading the fine print with a loupe the "200W" boil down to 60W RMS ... maybe supplying short 100W bursts.

In any case, quite usable.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Agree, 100% about Austin at ZT. Very helpful and open about troubleshooting his product.

One thing that I didn't like was the rubber cement like coating poured over the input jack and other mechanically sensitive parts.

Comment

Working...
          X