How to select an amplifier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    I'd like to reinforce the idea that you will need an adequate tool kit. Not just screwdrivers, pliers & dikes & soldering iron etc but knowledge tools that come only through experience. You can read all you want, but there's no teacher like experience. Best to start simple, very simple. Build a Champ, or a tweed Deluxe. And see if this sort of thing is really for you.

Also, as recommended have a good local tech that can help you out if you get stuck. Heck, if you decide getting burnt by your soldering iron and all the other setbacks aren't your thing, you might decide it's a good idea after all to have that tech build - and shakedown and troubleshoot - your kit for you. Still a helluva savings compared to spending $3500 for the amp you lust after. Should leave enough loot to buy a competent speaker cab, and have plenty of change left besides.

Not too far from you there's Mojo in NC. Besides all sorts of amp & guitar parts, they sell a variety of amp kits, including very well made cabinets. By far not the cheapest but always remember and never forget, you get what you pay for, cheap IS cheap.
    We've made this recommendation many times over for this particular member. I'm sure this thread will suffer the same fate as his others. Big Wishes, no follow up.
    Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time or the last.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

$3000 new? SO why buy new? We here regularly discuss our 50+ year old amps that are still cranking it out day after day.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

First of all .. how loud is loud and what kind of PA are you using? What genre? I play in a band where the other guitar player insists (unnecessarily imho) on using a 100 watt JCM 2000 half stack. I use a 20 watt (on a good day) Bugera V22. I’m usually miked a little. Our bass player just switched to direct (SansAmp) with no amp at all... but we have 15” stage monitors and a lot of overhead. I’ve used a SansAmp too before. Just an hour ago I did a walk on at small club and plugged a Telecaster direct in to the PA with no interface at all. Sounded fine. I was playing G tuned slide. There are many ways to Egypt... You don’t need to spend $3000. My Bugera was $249 free shipping/no tax from Sweetwater. I took took the badge off and everyone thinks it’s a boutique amp. I own vintage amps but they are usually too big, too loud, or not versatile enough. I use a speaker attenuator with this one most of the time too. Tone is in the hands my friend. Btw.. If you are playing using house PAs.. sound men HATE big loud amps.
        Last edited by olddawg; 03-15-2019, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Some of the most fun I ever had playing was with a 1959SLP and a pedal board. I did install the simple master volume so I could drive the preamp with a boost and then get the volume down. It was only later that I learned the real benefits of power tube overdrive as it applies to tone. See, I did just like you propose. I needed a big rock amp and bought a 1959. Good? Yepper. Great? Nope. If I had my druthers I'd have gone with a 50 watter and skipped the master volume.

For the purposes of keeping the budget I'll suggest a Marshall JMP MKII or similar. But DO play through it before purchasing because some of those amps are a little harsh. Alternately you could go with just about any old Traynor Bassmaster for a similar price. The Marshall has an extra cascade gain stage and a master volume. But these aren't deal breaking features with a pedal board. Either of those amps with a pedal board and a Celestion loaded 2x12 or 4x12 will do ANYTHING. If you ever find yourself under powered you can always install a line out for a boost from the PA or just drop a mic in front of the cabinet.

Pedal board needs to have a delay pedal to simulate reverb effects, a dirt box, a chorus and a Wah pedal. I like to have a phase shifter too, but I could live without it. Between the amp rig suggested, these pedals and your guitars volume control there's virtually nothing you can't do for any gig short of a coliseum or the halftime show on a football field.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I like chucks recommendation for an old Traynor bass master. I particularly like the yba-1 model since that is one that I own. It's in a great head cab and makes maintenance a breeze. Unmolested the yba-1 is all clean with tons of headroom just begging for some overdrive pedal placed on its input. Just a great amp!
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
              If you do decide to build one, you could always rent amps in the meantime. That way you could try different options in your own space.
              This is the best suggestion so far, yet no one has batted an eyelid. There's no substitute for real-world experience. Narrow it down to a shortlist to limit time/expenditure. Fender Twin, JTM45, any of the industry standards, together with some effects of your choosing. Like Malcolm, I would avoid overly elaborate amps, not because I'm a luddite, but because they can be a pain in the ass when they play-up.

Comment

Agree, it all depends on how loud they actually play, and until you actually try out various rigs with them, it's impossible to know what degree of amp power and speaker array is needed to cut the mustard. As the new guy, you've got to fit in, but you don't want to be lugging 100W tube heads and 4x12 cabs around unless absolutely necessary (which might be the case!)
                Whatever you choose, I strongly suggest to prioritise getting pro musician grade (flat freq response) custom made earplugs.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                  We've made this recommendation many times over for this particular member. I'm sure this thread will suffer the same fate as his others. Big Wishes, no follow up.
                  Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time or the last.
                  nosaj
                  Well perhaps lurkers who have the same question will get good answers. It's been known to happen. I was one of them once...
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I really just want to build my own amp!

I know I started this thread asking about choosing and amp. And at that moment, that is what I thought I would do... just buy a new killer amp.

But... I remembered that I have a Fender Blues Jr. 15 watt 1 x 12" amp at home. I am just going to use that as my amp until I can build one. I am still glad that I started this thread, because it really did force me to think about what I want in an amp. And as @Malcolm Irving said in his response... I want, "...a simple single-channel Marshall (or similar) head... a 'hand-wired reissue'.

The Mojotone BRITISH STYLE 100W LEAD / BASS HEAD AMPLIFIER KIT, is exactly that!

I am definitely afraid by the fact that the description says very plainly
                    Difficulty: 4 out of 5

Please note that there is no step-by-step assembly manual available for this amp kit. This amp kit comes only with a technical schematic and a wiring diagram. This is an advanced kit best suited for builders with previous amp building experience and understanding of electrical circuits. We do offer this amp kit fully assembled by Mojotone for an additional fee (Assembled option located in AMP KIT OPTIONS drop down box above).

I have looked at the wiring diagrams and the schematics and while I do understand what all the symbols mean, and the wiring diagram is very clearly labeled straight-down to the color of wire you should use. But I am the EXACT person that they are speaking to when they say that thsi amp is not for beginners.

Unfortunately though... when I look at the wiring diagrams and schematics for a Fender Champ amp 5F1... which is supposed to be a great "getting started" amp, I don't see a TON of difference. The Marshall 1959 has 7 tubes and 6 pots (knobs) whereas the Fender has 3 tubes and 1 pot... okay... okay... I guess there is a HUGE difference between these two amps. But the Marshall doesn't have Reverb, Termelo, multiple channels.

I guess I should just build a damn Fender Champ asap and see if I can do it. Then move on from there.

Comment

Build one if you wish, you´ll love the experience, but don´t have the band holding on that ... nor build a hurried untested thing just "not to lose the gig", please separate both tasks.

Rent/borrow , visit equipped rehearsal rooms where you can play way louder and longer than in any shop, so you better make up your mind.

That said, many "very different inside" amplifiers sound not *that* different if played full blast , into same speakers of course.

Watch this video /(and afterwards many others) by Johan Segeborn.
                      An "eternal teen" he just plays with his toys ... which in this case happen to be LOUD amplifiers.

Here he´s comparing 5 "very different" amplifiers ... it´s amazing how actually close Classics sound.
                      Couldn´t believe how little difference exists between Marshall, Hiwatt and .... Silverface Fender .... and a Bass head at that

Only noticeable different were "outsiders" (to mainstream that is) , Orange who uses a non FMV tone stack but is closer to Ampeg EQ, not surprisingly "too fat" in my view, and bright chimey Traynor, which I loved.

But hear it for yourself, then explore other of his options ... all focused on loud Heavy playing:

A classic "Les Paul into Marshall" guy ... can´t go wrong with that.
                      But he also called his Strat wielding friend, to open focus a bit
                      Last edited by J M Fahey; 03-15-2019, 04:52 AM.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The Hiwatt, gets my vote!
                        T

**Here's the Hiwatt vs a Plexi.
                        The Hiwatt has great british crunch IMO.

Last edited by big_teee; 03-14-2019, 07:48 PM.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

And what's (probably) the most common & cheapest amp on that list?
                          (I'm thinking the Bassman 100. Heck, I owned 2 at once for w a spell.)

I'd also like to throw a Sovtek Mig in there... Had a Mig-100U & a 78 JMP100 in at the same time. Liked the Sovtek better. & I'm a punk guy.

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Re: the idea of renting amps, unless they have changed policy if you buy used gear online from GC you have a 45 day return window, and you can return it to your local store so all you have to pay is original shipping. Not saying to actually use this as a cheap rental thing, but it really can be used that way.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              The Hiwatt, gets my vote!
                              T

**Here's the Hiwatt vs a Plexi.
                              The Hiwatt has great british crunch

When I was in my first real band right out of HS about 1975 I spent a small fortune on a 100 watt Hiwatt full stack. My bass player got the 200 watt stack. It was louder than god and hard to get to break up. I got rid of the head and got a 100 watt Marshall. Still a monster. Eventually I had two 50 watt Marshall half stacks. Then a single 50 watt half stack. I later... I remember being on tour with the visible stage amps on standby and I had a cranked old Skylark miked behind them. The last time I used a giant rig was a couple of years ago at an outdoor gig in downtown Las Vegas. The backline provided was two JCM 800s and a JCM 900. I still daisy chained them off of my 18 watt Marshall rig that I stood next to. The mass of amps looked great but was really unnecessary. It was kind of fun to relive the glory days.. If you are older and don’t have a road crew and a stage you could play sports on.... Seriously...Consider the pain in the ass of transporting a halfstack if you don’t really need too. And if you are not driving a huge amp to its sweet spot... you don’t really need it. I guess my point is... a lot of this stuff is “image” related.

Comment

Was anybody else surprised at how similar the HiWatt and the Bassman100 sounded? I absolutely never thought to pair either amp cranked with a strat, but I thought that was really working.

EDIT: HEY! re: post #25 - What happened to the original video with the HiWatt, Orange, Fender and Marshall?
                                Last edited by Chuck H; 03-15-2019, 01:05 PM.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X