Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to select an amplifier...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,446/4
    Given: 1,588/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    How long did he stay your bass player?

nosaj
    The whole time I played with those guys. He was also a pretty good song writer, guitarist and singer. Just too flawed to make the most of any of it. Besides that I wasn't in the band to be great or "make it". I actually gave up on that in my early twenties after deciding that I didn't want to work with musicians and other music industry types for a living Honestly, anyone who can do THAT part of it deserves whatever success they achieve more than most people know.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    I think it's safe to say I don't have any of those problems. I will be heard whether the sound guy likes it or not. The people seem to like it...
    I sometimes am left as the only person playing if others get lost, bevause I'm steady enough to keep going, pulling it out of... Well, you know. I can keep going if everyone else crashes until they get their bearings. Or sometimes they just get tired.

Justin
    An early mentor of mine in rock music use to say "If your gonna suck, suck loud. That's the rock attitude. If you're embarrassed then practice more and stop sucking."

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 417/4
    Given: 828/9
    That's going on Facebook. Unless, of course, you object.

Jusrin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 417/4
    Given: 828/9
    Without sounding like a pompous asshat...

There's something else to playing loudly and confidently. I'm frequently playing with people who are either not as serious as myself, just starting out, insecure, lacking in confidence, or other non-harmful things that hinder them. Being willing to go big WITH them and FOR them can help pull them out of their shell. Not to overwhelm them because they may not be as good as you, but to sort of egg them on - "hey, these people aren't here to yell at you, they WANT to support you. Get out there & do YOU!" It's a motivational thing.

Not to mention, nobody that couldn't hear their faults ever got any better. And playing in a live band with real simple gear can expose you real quick, because there's nothing to hide behind.

Justin

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    That's going on Facebook. Unless, of course, you object.

Jusrin
    No objections.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Without sounding like a pompous asshat...

There's something else to playing loudly and confidently. I'm frequently playing with people who are either not as serious as myself, just starting out, insecure, lacking in confidence, or other non-harmful things that hinder them. Being willing to go big WITH them and FOR them can help pull them out of their shell. Not to overwhelm them because they may not be as good as you, but to sort of egg them on - "hey, these people aren't here to yell at you, they WANT to support you. Get out there & do YOU!" It's a motivational thing.

Not to mention, nobody that couldn't hear their faults ever got any better. And playing in a live band with real simple gear can expose you real quick, because there's nothing to hide behind.

Justin
    Here's another

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 176/0
    Given: 22/0
    I remember as a kid in HS having a 1973 Silver Face UL TR with a master volume. That thing was super clean, ice picky trebly even with humbuckers... and louder than a Lear Jet. It sounded the best to me at the time 15 minutes before the Utah speakers gave up or the police came...

Thread Information