60 cycle low hum that doesn't change in volume Crate BX50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi to all,
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. I'll pull the board and look for bad solder joints . (I have done this once before with nothing found) I'll also replace the 2 caps mentioned.

If this doesn't help with the hum should i figure that the amp is reliable for use and just going to be noisier than I've seen in the past? The amp has done this since he purchased it so I can't say it's something that just started up or has always been there.
    With the voltages at the test points I found it appears from the replies that these are not out of working range and not throwing up red flags to any one as far as the amp ready to blow up. It appears the hum to just be an annoyance.

If everyone feels that this just may be normal and be safe for use without breaking down (The amp has worked for hours on end and never shut down or made any other noise beside the hum) I'll probably just figure this is the best we can get and live with it.
    I'm going to let him continue to use my back up Peavey at school . During the summer he can decide which way to go.
    I know it's tough to trouble shoot something you can't see so I truly appreciate all your help.
    Regards
    dad roadie
    P.S. I did pull the board and went over it with a magnifier glass. All of the solder joints looked good. I did go ahead and resolder the ones mentioned just to be sure .The amp still has the same hum. If there is anything else that would be good to test please let me know.
    Again Thanks!
    Last edited by dadroadie; 03-16-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Hi to All,
      Just wondered if anyone had any other ideals before I put this back together and figure that it's normal for some amps to do this. Does anyone out there have a Crate BX50 or any of the BX series (BX25 BX50 BX100) and if so do you have any background hum? Again thanks to all that tried to help with this .It's appreciated!
      dad roadie

Comment

Working...
      X