Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT parts

Cant find what Im looking for.....

I know some of you have worked on these SVT's ...

i need some pots for a SVT Classic. The owner wants metal shafts , not the plastic factory style that keep breaking off .

looking for some pcb mount , 24mm body , long bushing or shaft.... knurled ... cant find any in 1M or 50K .

any sources ??

Not trying to be a smart-arse, but if he's finding a way to repeatedly break the plastics, I don't know that he's going to fare any better with metal. I'd actually think the plastic would allow a bit of flex before breaking.
    Maybe this one should be in a road case?
    Or are these particular pots known to be especially brittle?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
      Cant find what Im looking for.....

I know some of you have worked on these SVT's ...

i need some pots for a SVT Classic. The owner wants metal shafts , not the plastic factory style that keep breaking off .

looking for some pcb mount , 24mm body , long bushing or shaft.... knurled ... cant find any in 1M or 50K .

any sources ??
      First off, the pots used in the SVT-CL are CTS pots made specifically for Ampeg (you'd need to go to the CTS website to find the pot series from which these custom parts are derived/made for Ampeg). Apart from selecting an alternative 24mm dia pot from somebody else that has the metal shaft feature you're looking for, and then cobble the front support method for the PCB assy, since the pots ARE the front support for that PCB in the preamp, your best bet is then to find some CTS pots of the same product line that have metal shafts long enough to cobble the pots from, using just the nylon rotor and metal shaft pressed into the rotor. May have to cut the shaft to length, unless you're just lucky enough to find either spline shaft, D-shaft detail for the knobs you want to change to.

https://www.ctscorp.com/products/con...otentiometers/ I didn't find this pot among CTS's 24mm pots, having the same short PCB tabs nor the special machined-brass bushing/assy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CTS Preamp Pots-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	853363 Click image for larger version

Name:	CTS Preamp Pots-2.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	853364 Click image for larger version

Name:	CTS Preamp Pots-3.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	853365

Note: I had just posted a similar reply with these photos, and it didn't show up, so did it again.

g1....I was thinking that myself. Transporting these in the back of your equipment truck where other gear can slide over and break the knobs off, I can't think of any other way these pots would break off.
      Last edited by nevetslab; 03-14-2019, 07:05 PM.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

We (day job) have a lot of SVTs. In 14 years I think I've had to replace two pots. If they are breaking, I believe it is human error. If you give him metal shafts, he may punch the backs out of the pots and/or break the PCB.

Comment

Pots rarely break themselves. Prop your guitar against the amp on breaks and it slides over, the headstock takes out a control or two. Well why was it leaning there instead of into a $9 guitar stand? Load it into the van after the gig, is anything up against the knobs? Is there anything to protect them?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Pots rarely break themselves. Prop your guitar against the amp on breaks and it slides over, the headstock takes out a control or two. Well why was it leaning there instead of into a $9 guitar stand? Load it into the van after the gig, is anything up against the knobs? Is there anything to protect them?
            Load, hell just toss that amp in there with the rest of the crap.
            I think if you find the pots he want you should charge a convenience fee so he's not as likely to bring it back so soon for being so careless.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

thanks guys...i will figure something out................owner wants "metal pots" ....

hoping you would chime in Nevetslab------i will cobble/engineer something up

Comment

I've seen the steel shafts break just as easy when they get banged into something. Personally, I think this is a better solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATA-3-8-CAR...Q8YbT&LH_BIN=1

It amazes me that people will spend a couple grand for an amp, but aren't willing to drop a couple hundred on a case for it.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
                  We (day job) have a lot of SVTs. In 14 years I think I've had to replace two pots. If they are breaking, I believe it is human error. .
                  Same here on the breakage aspect. It's very rare that an SVT-VR or SVT-CL comes in without a road case. Always with casters. I've had knobs break, of course. And, of course, solder joints on the pots, since they're being used as 'welded PCB support brackets'. The intelligence in product engineering sometimes just staggers the imagination.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                  X