Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverb Tanks, how does mounting style matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Tanks, how does mounting style matter?

Got a 90's PRS HG-70 solid state amp that was once Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd's main stage amp. Actually, he had two, and my customer just bought them both. One of the problems was the reverb wasn't working. Well, I don't know why, all three springs were out of the tank and floating aimlessly around the main board!

Anyway, the Accutronics model model is no longer offered as far as I can tell. It is 9BB2C1C, and it mounts vertically in the head. CED has the 9BB2C1B, but it mounts horizontally. I do find one exact model used in CA for $43, but I am wary. How much of a big deal is finding a vertically mounted version? The amp isn't touring any time soon, I don't believe.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

With all the specs offered on the current proliferation of reverb tanks, they seem to have left out mounting position. OTOH I've used generic tanks that are available and found no harm in positioning them as needed. If that wasn't the case might have to instruct owners of certain amps to only play them if they're tipped on one side or the other, or upside down.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Ever notice that there are several holes where the springs that suspend the reverb assembly from the outside chassis could be attached ? I've often wondered if that was the only difference between tanks of differing mounting options. Can you get a good picture of the tank offered in CA ?
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

even if the long springs are gone, if the short springs are in place you can look where they are mounted. Move the ones on your new pan to the same settings.

On the other hand, just stick the pan in there and see if it works as it is. The pan innards will naturally sag from gravity, so they mount the innards lower or higher or nearer one end a little so the innards don't hit the frame.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, all tanks are basically the same, just mounting springs are attached to different holes, as Loudtyhud said, so springs *when sagging* which is unavoidable, stay more or less centered.
          Of course if a certain tank is optimized (I´d even call that "biased") for, say vertical mounting, connectors up and you mount them connectors down, you have actually worsened the problem.

But look at them, put them in the amp suggested position,and check whether delay springs are fine or dangerously close to bottom.

IF so, loosen the lower mounting springs, tighten the upper ones, so you get them in a safer position.
          As said above, I suspect you can turn one model into another by hacking a little.

Of course a Factory which orders then by the 100´s or 1000´s does not want to waste time and gets them pre .... ummmm .... "biased".
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Looky here

If you don't adjust the mounting tray height you risk the springs hitting the deck or the tray hitting the chassis depending on the mounting orientation.
            Last edited by nickb; 03-15-2019, 04:16 PM.
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Like anything else, the problems are POTENTIAL. Slap one in there. If it works reliably you are done. If it clangs a bit, then take it out and adjust the corner springs.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys, it is as I suspected. I have ordered a new one and will adjust as/if needed.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                X