egnater rebel 20 sounds like a ring modulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as per schematic, qc104 is grounded via qc107
    No. Look at the schematic. The two spots next to the winding where the wires cross SHOULD NOT HAVE DOTS. That is a drawing typo. Think about it, if those wires were connected together, there would then be a dead short across the transformer winding. Any "grounding" you find at QC104 to QC107 is through the low resistance of the transformer wiring, NOT a direct connection. QC208 and QC107 are connected on the board. QC104 is NOT connected to them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks! that's what I thought but was not sure. because the qc107 and qc208 coming out of the pt, even when not connected to the board made a beeping sound on the dmm. just read now there is a low resistance of only 6ohms between qc107 and qc208 that's why I had a continuity beep.

Comment

Update

To anyone following this thread, well I never found someone who will lend me their scope. I have nothing but the schematic and a DMM. I'm about the replace every component on the tube board when I thought to just check the continuity of the components. To my surprise the tube board was not grounded at all. C208 C207 C206 and C205 were not grounded. When I was checking where the fault was, I traced it to the CN3B terminal. the last two leads where not connecting to the ground of the PCB. even when I reflowed the solder, the legs wouldnt make a contact on the pcb, so I soldered a wire directly from the CN3B to ground. Double checked everything and found another dud, this time it was the CN103 terminal, same issue, the last two legs were not connected to ground. Wow talk about quality. So I did the same on this terminal, checked everything and reassembled. praying that this finally fixes it.

Here's the first time I turned it on after fixing the two terminals.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-dJva1Q98

sorry it's one of those fiddle fiddle knobs play play play but here's what I thought was doing
        0:09 I turned the blend knob from 6V6 all the way to EL84
        0:15 dialing in the wattage knob (attenuator???)
        0:20 master volume
        0:40 maxed the wattage knob
        0:45 dialing in the gain
        1:28 more gain
        2:17 tested the bright switch
        2:22 tested the Tight switch

pardon the playing, aside from the random hum (like someone pulling the guitar cord), everything is working and sounding great! really ecstatic i managed to fix this thing! I'll check on that random but short hum before I close this thing

will try to upload pics of the pcb

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Working...
        X