Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Microphone Power Supply

Hi!

The power cable for my Oktava MK13 power supply broke recently and I'm looking for some help either repairing or replacing it.
    The cable is a standard euro type C on one end and the other is a 4 prong female connector which I'm not sure the name of (making it hard to search for a replacement)
    Repairing the cable wouldn't be hard I would just need to solder the 2 wires back to the connector but I'm not sure which should go where and I don't want to damage the power supply by messing this up. The inside of the 4 prong adaptor can be seen at the bottom of the first pic with the 4 blue wires attached.

Attached are pics. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Attached Files

Seems pretty intuitive that pins 1 and 4 are mains, the other two look disconnected.

I hope there's an isolating transformer in there somewhere. From your 1st photo looks like the wires go straight to the board.
    Valvulados

Comment

SMPS would go straight to the board.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        SMPS would go straight to the board.

I thought he said that cable came straight from mains (type C EU plug)?
        Valvulados

Comment

An SMPS power supply is wired directly to mains. It rectifies the mains for its primary side.

I have no idea if he has an SMPS there, but it is one explanation for mains seeming to wire directly to the board. SMPS are quite common in today's world.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            An SMPS power supply is wired directly to mains. It rectifies the mains for its primary side.

I have no idea if he has an SMPS there, but it is one explanation for mains seeming to wire directly to the board. SMPS are quite common in today's world.
            Makes sense. The 4 rectifiers are right to the left on the photo. If it's a SMPS then there's a small transformer right after that. That'd be an isolating transformer, which is what I wondered about earlier.
            Valvulados

Comment

That supply is from 1969. It uses vacuum tubes. For it to be mixing tubes and smps in that era would be quite something I think. However, as most CCCP stuff, there was a lot of crossover from military, so maybe this is likely?
              A little digging says late '50s was the dawn of SMPS.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X