Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewl View Post
    If the trans is bad.
    ^^^ yes right there is a pertinent observation: IF. So far we have only the opinion of a so called "tech" who doesn't seem to be able to get anything straight. It would save us ALL a lot of flailing around if the condition of the original PT would be verified by a tech who does know how to check it proper-like.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Unfortunately it requires a CT HV secondary and that 290XX doesn't have one.
      Good catch Chuck, I missed that. Looking at that schematic sideways didn't help.

Comment

?????????????????????????????????????????

The amp in question has 300Vp using a diode rectifier. A Deluxe Reverb PT would push it to about 460Vp It's also a laydown type mount rather than upright.

Agh, I was thinking of a different Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by widget2640 View Post
          I guess I'd ask if it was your amp what transformer do you think would be the optimal choice?
          If it were mine I would probably:

1) Get the Heyboer if they have it on file and don't charge too much for the custom order. They often don't. They're easy to talk to and work with. You don't get anything if you don't ask.

2) If that didn't pan out "I" would probably measure the existing hole and see if I could cram the Hammond 270DAZ in there. The specs for mounting the Hammond are on line in the specs. The 270DAZ will probably raise your B+ 30V to 40V. The tubes will handle that with no trouble. I can't say about the OT, but it'll probably be fine with an extra watt or two.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
            I had a hard time reading that schematic, but maybe this Hammond 290XX or another Blues Jr. replacement might do the trick. The stated voltage is after rectification so seems reasonable. I'm not sure if the Gibson transformer is horizontal or vertical mount; the Blues Jr. is horizontal.

http://www.nextgenguitars.ca/product...ansformer.html
            Thanks for responding Blooomfield - the tech confirmed it's a "flat mount" based on this chart: https://mercurymagnetics.com/pages/_...klTM80C5OFzPy8

Yeah the schematic is brutal. Incomplete, and inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              Hoffman also has a list of recommended techs: https://el34world.com/service.htm

Don't neglect the not too far away New Hampshire zone.
              Hey Leo - thanks. I sent an email to the fella in NH seeing if he could help. We shall see.

Comment

If it were mine I would probably:

1) Get the Heyboer if they have it on file and don't charge too much for the custom order. They often don't. They're easy to talk to and work with. You don't get anything if you don't ask.

2) If that didn't pan out "I" would probably measure the existing hole and see if I could cram the Hammond 270DAZ in there. The specs for mounting the Hammond are on line in the specs. The 270DAZ will probably raise your B+ 30V to 40V. The tubes will handle that with no trouble. I can't say about the OT, but it'll probably be fine with an extra watt or two.
                Sincerely, thanks again for providing so much info Chuck. - couple follow ups

1.) Regarding Heyboer - I followed the link and read the thread - I am baffled as to what to ask Heyboer or what to look for? The thread doesn't mentioned specifics or specs of the custom PT they did for that fella. What would I ask that they had on file? I've put so much time and effort into getting this amp up to speed that I would spend a little bit extra for the best possible replacement. Do I simply call and ask what? Do you have a Drop in replacement PT for a 1965 Gibson 16 RVT? Do they "rewind" the original PT?

2. The 270DAZ from Hammond is mentioned a couple times, as is this EDCOR on several similar threads... (EDCOR: Power transformer for a 120V, 60Hz. or 240V, 50/60Hz. line to 510V (255-0-255) at 125mA center tapped and 6.3V (3.15-0-3.15) at 4A center tapped. https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr013 ) If Heyboer doesn't pan out - you would choose the Hammond over the EDCOR?

Thanks again,

MJL

Comment

So if the power transformer is found to be faulty there is another place that does rewinds. It seems that TRS (Transformer Rewinding Services) has recently been sold by the original owner. I am pretty sure BlueGlow is the same one I have watched on youtube. Now I don't think they are taking in any rewinds until later in 2019, but who knows maybe by summer. Still good to know there is someone out there offering the services of rewinding transformers. The original website for TRS shows all the Gibsons that they will rewind and the GA15-RVT is on the list. I guess this is more for the future but it's out there.

Old owner's website: Lists all Gibson amps that they will re-wind. Too bad since he was working in Maine...
                  http://members.tripod.com/tubes_tube...vice/id69.html

New owner's website:
                  https://blueglowelectronics.wordpres...mer-rewinding/
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by widget2640 View Post
                    Sincerely, thanks again for providing so much info Chuck. - couple follow ups

1.) Regarding Heyboer - I followed the link and read the thread - I am baffled as to what to ask Heyboer or what to look for? The thread doesn't mentioned specifics or specs of the custom PT they did for that fella. What would I ask that they had on file? I've put so much time and effort into getting this amp up to speed that I would spend a little bit extra for the best possible replacement. Do I simply call and ask what? Do you have a Drop in replacement PT for a 1965 Gibson 16 RVT? Do they "rewind" the original PT?

2. The 270DAZ from Hammond is mentioned a couple times, as is this EDCOR on several similar threads... (EDCOR: Power transformer for a 120V, 60Hz. or 240V, 50/60Hz. line to 510V (255-0-255) at 125mA center tapped and 6.3V (3.15-0-3.15) at 4A center tapped. https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr013 ) If Heyboer doesn't pan out - you would choose the Hammond over the EDCOR?

Thanks again,

MJL
                    I'd probably still choose the Hammond if only because it's a lay down mount like the original. The Edcor is not. I don't know what the interior geometry of parts fit is though or how much retrofitting would be necessary for either. At face value I would expect the Hammond to be easier to retrofit.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Weber W025130, The secondary voltage is only slightly higher and it's a lay-down. About 50$.

Comment

Originally posted by guitman321 View Post
                        Weber W025130, The secondary voltage is only slightly higher and it's a lay-down. About 50$.
                        A good alternative, but...

It's 20V higher than the Hammpnd, larger and has an ancillary secondary winding that the Hammpnd doesn't

Comment

Working...
                        X