Trace elliot gp7sm loud hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace elliot gp7sm loud hum

Hello, my first post here. I recently purchased a Trace Elliot bass amp head from kijiji. It was shipped to me and was listed as "working great". When it arrived it was definitely not working great. Most of the screws were missing. Someone had opened it up, tried to fix it and just barely put it back together. So I'm stuck with it and would like to try and fix it. I'm a total amateur but I have modded some guitar pedals and repaired a few amps in the past. Replaced capacitors, pots etc.
    So what the amp is doing is making a loud hum. Turning the amp up or down makes no difference, there is no sound from the guitar. Just a steady loud hum. It may get a little louder or quieter if left on for a minute. I also notice that one of the two mosfet gets hot the other doesn't. The direct out works fine. So the premap is good. Looking at the board I see one burnt 220 ohm resistor. . I also see one capacitor that looks a little swollen. . I've ordered some resistors, and thinking about ordering the capacitor. Could these problems cause the issue with the amp, or are they likely just a result of a larger problem?
    Just hoping someone could lead me in the right direction while I wait for parts. Thanks.

The power board - https://imgur.com/a/U2oTs05

Schematic... https://music-electronics-forum.com/...9&d=1434038910 (I think this is the correct one)

Swollen cap - https://imgur.com/a/wZI9PYj

Burnt resistor - https://imgur.com/a/5R3qac7?

Does teh speaker cone move one direction and stay there? In other words is there DC on teh amp output? If yes to either, TURN IT OFF, you will melt your speaker - if not already done.

Work with NO speaker load until we know the amp is stable and not making DC.

The swollen C13 ought to be replaced, but it appears to just be the fan supply, so no audible difference.

Resistors never burn up on their own, something else takes them down. Usually a transistor. Especially if some of your power transistors are getting hot. They aer very suspect.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What's getting warm is the buzz905. I figured it should be hot and the cold one was maybe not working. I'll check for DC on the speaker output.

Comment

I'm reading 61 volts DC on the speaker out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotti123 View Post
          I'm reading 61 volts DC on the speaker out.
          Ouch!

+ or - Vdc?

Mosfets usually fail shorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Ouch!

+ or - Vdc?

Mosfets usually fail shorted.

Just checked again. 59 Vdc positive and it slowly creeps up the longer its left on.

Comment

Pull out the mosfets.
              Possibly, at least one is shorted.

The fact that R13 is burnt would indicate a lot of current passed through that section.
              So check Tr3, 4 & 5.

Comment

Thanks I will check them. These mosfets only have two pins. Im assuming the casing is another? Just trying to figure out how to test them. I've found some simple instructions but those mosfets all have three pins.

Comment

The BUZ mosfets indeed have three connections.
                  The pins are the Gate & the Drain.
                  The case itself is the third one. (Source)
                  BUZ900.pdf

As stated, mosfets typically fail 'shorted' from D to S. (or all three)

Comment

Perfect,. Thanks for the info

Comment

It looks like there are issues with both mosfets. One of them has continuity between all three pins. The other seems to be shorted between the source and either the gate or the drain.

Comment

So I got it working. I replaced both MOSFETs and transistors 3, 4 and 5. The burnt resistor and Still had -67 volts DC on the speaker out. I re-soldered everything on the board that looked suspect and now it is working fine.
                        Is there anything I can do to protect my speakers if the issue started again? I'd like to use the amp but I'm afraid it will suddenly start putting out DC voltage again and ruin my speakers. I have two new speakers in my bass cab and I'd hate to fry them.

Comment

It may get a little louder or quieter if left on for a minute.
                          Well NEVER do THAT. As soon as you hear that "DC hum", immediately turn it off. In my experience, speakers don't melt instantly.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I didn't leave it on for long, maybe 20 or 30 seconds. It fried the voice coil on one speaker in my cab. An old speaker but still it happened pretty quick. Of course now I know better

Comment

Originally posted by Rotti123 View Post
                              \
                              Is there anything I can do to protect my speakers if the issue started again? I'd like to use the amp but I'm afraid it will suddenly start putting out DC voltage again and ruin my speakers.
                              Fuse on speaker outs? I have bass amps with that implemented into their design.

Comment

Working...
                              X