Rocker Switch Gap Filler Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Switch Gap Filler Solution

I had to replace the rocker switches on a red knob twin front panel. All the replacements that I could find are about 1mm too narrow on the bezel to fully cover the gap. When the amp is back inthe chassis I doubt it will be very visible but I would like to find a way to seal it up for safetys sake. I was thinking about some shim material and epoxy but I wonder if any other bright ideas.

Thanks

Being old school (polite way of saying "old carcass") I always have some squeeze bottle of old style "nitro adhesive" , currently made by buying a can of "transparent nitro or acrylic car paint base" , the kind where you later add coloured paste as needed to match your car bodywork colour, and simply leave it in the sun, uncovered, until it thickens somewhat.

Use it everywhere, mainly to seal threads instead of fancy modern loctite or whatever.

VERY general purpose, including adding a couple beads along switche so they do not "dance" inside way too large punched holes, fixing jack nuts, etc. .

To avoid buying the full "1 liter" can, you may use transparent nail enamel, almost same thing.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

UV-cure adhesives, like this one, are pretty cool for repairs and building up structure:

https://www.amazon.com/RapidFix-Liqu.../dp/B00QSA77NE
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

That guy in the video looks like the son of "Smiling Bob", who did the Enzite commercials.

Comment

I'd probably razor/scissor cut some thin, black plastic (of some kind?) to sandwich between the bezel and the hole. If the customer isn't picky then just color the visible chassis edges with a sharpie marker.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Scroll down to where it says "large wide black" rocker:

https://www.amprepairparts.com/fenderswitches.htm

(I know this won't help you now, but maybe someone else looking for one)
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Nice that they include the actual mounting dimensions. Rather than the usual "fits these models" description. So it's just a matter of measuring the hole one is trying to fill.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Hi g1, yes they are the exact part for power and standby (DPST) but the high / low switch needs DPDT which they don't have. In my case the client preferred matching switches.

Comment

In the end I have used some araldite metal glue. It is a two part epoxy that is gun-metal grey when mixing and dries slightly darker so it is a really good match for a slightly faded black fender panel. Also it is very thick so didn't run out the front of the amp panel all over the place and looks pretty good. It's not cheap at around £6 for a small tube but very convenient for those in a hurry.

Comment

Only problem is that future replacement of that switch will at least require this for removal:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

"Do you expect that Twin Reverb to work?"

"Noooo Mr. Guitarist. I expect it to DIE!"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeydee77 View Post
                        I had to replace the rocker switches on a red knob twin front panel. All the replacements that I could find are about 1mm too narrow on the bezel to fully cover the gap. When the amp is back inthe chassis I doubt it will be very visible but I would like to find a way to seal it up for safetys sake. I was thinking about some shim material and epoxy but I wonder if any other bright ideas.

Thanks
                        Take it back out get some black plastic sheet cut it to make a sort of washer that is bigger than the whole. Looks better than filling a gap.

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          Take it back out get some black plastic sheet cut it to make a sort of washer that is bigger than the whole. Looks better than filling a gap.

nosaj
                          Like this suggestion from post #5?

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          I'd probably razor/scissor cut some thin, black plastic (of some kind?) to sandwich between the bezel and the hole.
                          Yeah, I agree

Comment

Well it is an evil twin.

Comment

I tend to use old place or grey plastic CD boxed or mousepads a cut them up with sizzors or a metal ruler and a razor blade for stuff like that. Then secure them with contact cement.

Comment

Working...
                              X