Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with old amp: voltages too low. Bad power transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enzo,
    the control grids (pin 5) do have some positive VDC on them, more on V4. Such VDC reading is somewhat unstable and changes between readings (maybe due to old solder joints). Thus new coupling caps are due.
    One further step onward in the troubleshooting process...
    I am going on with checking the other components (not too many after all).
    I am pretty sure that new filter caps will cure the low B+ definitely.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post an update as soon as I install the new filter caps.
    Carlo Pipitone

Comment

I know this thread is almost ten years old, but thanks!

Comment

I know this thread is almost ten years old, but thanks!

Comment

I missed this post first time around, but I think a big part of the problem would be using a 6AX4 where a 6X4 is required. (half wave vs full wave rectifier)
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Just try to not jam in those pins in too hard...

I remember when I first tried to jam a 7-pin tube in a 9-pin hole when I wasn't looking...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Oops! Guess it was just a typo then and he was using 6X4.
              I guess the filter caps must have solved it.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X