Univox U-1220 w/ 1221 pickyback amp & 1005 2x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univox U-1220 w/ 1221 pickyback amp & 1005 2x12 cab

I put the Astro Amp aside for a while after a major setback and started looking at my latest acquisition. It's a tube amp with a schematic! That's what I like!

I picked this up for $240 a few weeks ago. It seemed like a small price for a tube amp with a speaker cabinet. I know Univox doesn't have the demand or appeal of a fender amp, but I'm always curious to compare the tonal differences and build quality of these lesser known amps to the fender. This amp was used by a pro musician for many years so I'm told. Upon inspection, there were no hums or buzzes, just a nice clean tone. Volume was weak for 50 watts, and reverb and tremolo not working. I was told the chassis was all original but the speakers likely not.

I brought it home and let my son try it out. He plays jazz and really likes the tone. Now it's time to get it back into good working order. Here's a pic. Sorry it's not a closeup. I forgot to get a shot before I took it apart. If you zoom in, it's on the back wall between the keyboard and drums.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0316190956[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	874462

According to vintageunivox.com the 1005 cab originally came with two 12" Eminence special design speakers. The cabinet has a rating of 16 ohms, but the speakers combined measure 8 ohms. When I pulled the cabinet apart, I found two Kustom 12" speakers. I didn't find any info from the markings on the speaker, so I know nothing about them other than they seem to sound good.

Name:	0302191508[2].jpg
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	853421 Click image for larger version

Name:	0302191508b[1].jpg
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	853422 Click image for larger version

Name:	0302191526[1].jpg
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	853423 Click image for larger version

Name:	0302191509[1].jpg
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	853424

Comment

Someone swapped the speakers and hooked up as 8 ohms to use with a different head? That is always a possibility. So right now, you have two speakers in parallel measuring 8 ohms or do you have two 4 ohm speakers in series?

Comment

The Univox chassis in on the bench. I didn't expect such a solidly made chassis. Seems on par with a fender. There's a cover on the bottom which keeps it totally enclosed. Remove the cover to reveal the components inside. This one is clean inside and does look all original. It has a pcb. When you remove two covers from the top side it reveals the bottom of the pcb. That should make servicing easy!

Name:	0320191845_HDR[1].jpg
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	853425 Click image for larger version

Name:	0320191848[1].jpg
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	853426 Click image for larger version

Name:	0320191847_HDR[1].jpg
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	853427 Click image for larger version

Name:	0320191912[1].jpg
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	853428

Comment

The amp looks very clean. I found a pic on the web and the schematic.

Here is a page with info on the Univox amps - http://www.vintageunivox.com/amps/uniamp.html

Looks like you picked up a nice amp!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by TomCarlos; 03-21-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
            Someone swapped the speakers and hooked up as 8 ohms to use with a different head? That is always a possibility. So right now, you have two speakers in parallel measuring 8 ohms or do you have two 4 ohm speakers in series?
            I'm pretty sure it's two 16 ohms speakers in parallel. The amp and cabinet remained together. It appears there is a 16 and 8 ohm tap on the OT. I'll have to checked to see if that was changed to 8 ohm as well. I prefer an 8 ohm cabinet for versatility.

Comment

I replaced all the electrolitic capacitors. There were a lot. They didnt look bad and I wasn't getting any hum, but I didn't want to diagnose the amp with 40 plus years old caps. I was concerned that my work might introduce more problems. My concerns seemed realized when after replacing all the caps, I powered the amp and I got no output. With a little more time I found a bad solder connection and repaired. I also found a fried power filter resistor and replaced, added 3 prong power cord and switched to the 8 ohm tap on the OT. To my relief the amp now seems in good working order. Tremelo and reverb are now working too! Here are pics with new caps.

Name:	0331191716_HDR.jpg
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	853546 Click image for larger version

Name:	0331191716a.jpg
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	853547
              Last edited by tigerzilly; 04-01-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Still some issues

Close, but not there yet. I still have some issues I need to work through. With the amp reassembled I did some testing, and I'm hearing a faint 60 cycle hum. I need to lift the ground that I installed and see if it goes away. There was no hum before the cap replacement.

I'm still sorting out the footswitches for the reverb and tremolo. I picked up a dual footswitch, but when I went to switch out the two RCA connectors with 1/4", I discovered only one conductor going to one of the plugs. That's not working here.

Lastly I'm getting a pop when I switch off the power. I don't recall that before either, put I'm thinking arcing in the switch.

Comment

Name:	1022191102.jpg
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	855860

There is hope for the Univox U-1220!

Comment

I've been working on the Univox U-1220 on and off for a while now. I replaced all the electrolytic and oil filled caps, but it wasn't right. There was always sum hum or offending noise. Then I replaced a number of tube sockets and the power switch. I think I finally have it. A buddy of mine played through it last week and it smoked. And that was after hearing him play through his 68 vibrolux reverb and my 64 Deluxe Reverb. I told him it was 50 watts and he though it was more. Now I need to find some new speakers for the 1005 cab. It has Kustom speakers in now, but the are buzzing. This amp will never be worth much, but after I'm done, its gonna be a winner for playing through.

Comment

Tiger.... when you said "smoked" ... I was thinking Mushroom Cloud !!! Glad that "smoked" means "it sounded great" !!!!

Comment

So I installed two Jensen MOD12 70 speakers in the 1005 cab. I couldn't justify expensive speakers and I didn't see any bad reviews for the Jensen Mods. Initially I was still hearing some buzzing. Seemed to be coming from the reverb tank, so I tightened it down. The closed back cab vibrates quite a bit when the amp is cranked. The piggy back amp configuration can make the amp susceptible to the speaker cab vibration. Seems to be good now. It's pretty much a new amp now and with new speakers. Hopefully this project is complete.

Comment

The mighty Univox U1220. Here is a sample.
                          Attached Files

Comment

U-1220 Jazz style.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You might want to replace the rubber grommets mounting the reverb tank or put a chunk of 1/2” foam under the tank rather than just tightening the mounting screws. You usually want a reverb tank “floating” and not acoustically coupled to the cabinet by hard mounted screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X