fixing a damaged roll of magnet wire?? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
    i've just rescued the best part of 2.4 kgs of 43 awg wire.
    That's great to hear! It takes some persistance, but well worth it when you have a clean spool again.

I've actually found that most of the wire gets bundled up in the vacuum cleaner too - doesn't clog, just bundles up in a 'rat-nest' kind of thing, which is easy enough to throw out at the end

Comment

Originally posted by ZRGuitarPickups View Post
      I buy used, vintage spools on eBay all the time, and pretty much nobody knows how to properly ship this stuff - that being said, I've developed an excellent method for fixing damages spools!

It's weird...

Take a vacumm hose (with a 2" or so nozzle), turn it on a somewhat low power, and then swing it in circles about a foot over your damaged spool. This will 'suck up' all of the loose ends AND in about 5-10 minutes you'll be left with 1 wire that is flying off that spool.

I've done this with some SEVERELY OBLITERATED spools - and it works! Use your hand at first as a guide to help the wire off the spool

This method was developed with 48 AWG wire, and works just as well with 40AWG Heavy
      I'll have to try this method on a roll of Kester 0.015" solder that also has multiple ends. Not as critical as the spools of magnet wire that MUST have only one end and be free to flow in the winding process, but still a PITA when several of the ends hang up and don't want to spool out.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

That might be a bit heavy for the vacuum to pull up. Luckily you don't have to wind things with solder (or at least none that I know of)
        Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X