Ampeg ET-2 tremolo will not work! Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Do you have any modulation at the plate of V5A?

Have you verified the speed and intensity pots are working?
    Old Ampeg vibrato "bugs" are dying off at an alarming rate, as they are in aging Fenders. I've substituted my LED driven bugs for Ampeg's cube shaped bug, but it takes some fine tuning to make them work right. Unlike in Fenders, where the bug's photoresistor attenuates signal, in the Ampegs instead the blinking lamp allows the photoresistor to shunt across the vib depth pot (4 MegOhms ! ), passing signal with each blink. It takes only a very short pulse of current to allow this to work the way you want it to, so the resistor in series with the LED often winds up being a lot larger value than you might expect. Not having done one of these in a couple years I don't recall exactly. But around 2.2 Meg seems to ring a bell.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      Do you have any modulation at the plate of V5A?

Have you verified the speed and intensity pots are working?
      The plate modulates between 130 and 131 when tremolo is engaged, that can't be enough modulation{?} A solid 276 when off.

Speed and Intensity pots are working. When intensity is on and tremolo is engaged there is distinct initial volume drop like it's turning on but then goes back to normal volume with no further modulation, likewise when intensity is all the way down and tremolo is engaged there is no volume drop. Speed pot checked resistance between lugs and is operational.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        Old Ampeg vibrato "bugs" are dying off at an alarming rate, as they are in aging Fenders. I've substituted my LED driven bugs for Ampeg's cube shaped bug, but it takes some fine tuning to make them work right. Unlike in Fenders, where the bug's photoresistor attenuates signal, in the Ampegs instead the blinking lamp allows the photoresistor to shunt across the vib depth pot (4 MegOhms ! ), passing signal with each blink. It takes only a very short pulse of current to allow this to work the way you want it to, so the resistor in series with the LED often winds up being a lot larger value than you might expect. Not having done one of these in a couple years I don't recall exactly. But around 2.2 Meg seems to ring a bell.
        I believe you maybe talking about a different circuit. Ampeg does not use LFOs, it is biasing tremolo.

Comment

Originally posted by guildguy View Post
          I believe you maybe talking about a different circuit. Ampeg does not use LFOs, it is biasing tremolo.
          Low Frequency Oscillator

There is no trem roach (or bug)

Of course it uses LFO's. Or an LFO as it were. Otherwise there's be no modulation. You recognized this in post #17 above. That triode is the oscillator. The low frequency oscillator. It seems to be engaging and conducting current when on, but not oscillating. Very hard to troubleshoot with just a tight shot of the components because it's impossible to see how they're wired to everything else. But there must be a problem with either how it's wired or any unexamined components related.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ampeg does not use LFOs, it is biasing tremolo.
            That's no contradiction. Any tremolo/vibrato needs a low frequency oscillator (LFO). It's the V5a circuit.

Edit: Double posting.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by guildguy View Post
              What I wrote applies then I guess to the Gemini series. Whooops hadn't looked at the Echo Twin schemo.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
              X