Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez help needed

Hello Music Electronics Forum!,
    I hope I am posting this thread in the right place.

I am a 23 year old girl from Denmark who is studying electronics.

My boyfriend asked a guy from my class to help him fix his guitar's jack port. Sadly, the guy damaged my boyfriend's guitar in the process (apparently he thought it was a great idea to take out all the electronic components and replace the caps since they were "so old they needed changing anyways" - guitar is like 12 years old - and when he then had to put it all together he had forgotten where to put what and how). He didn't even touch the jack port so that one is still broken.

My boyfriend is devastated. It's his first guitar ever and he knows it's a cheapo... But it just is very dear to his heart.
    I haven't been able to open it yet since he's being pretty protective of it - which makes complete sense given his feelings for it. He is opening op to the idea of me looking at it some day though.

I have tried my best to look for the guitar's schematics, but I can't find them. I have no idea what serial number the guitar is either.
    The only info I could get was:
    Gio Ibanez
    050651759 (a number is lost since it's some kind of tape)
    - Sadly, this has given me no useful results when I search on Google or Ibanez' website.

I tried e-mailing Ibanez, like more than a month or two ago, but I haven't gotten an answer.
    I tried looking for their schematics on their website but the links don't work for me. Nor do the links I've found in here via the seach-engine.

I really hope one of you in here can help me so I can help him get his guitar back to working.

Here's a picture of the guitar in hopes it can help with figuring out its schematics. Sorry for the poor quality, I will see if I can get a better one tomorrow.

Sincerely,
    Sus

Welcome.

If you can tell us the control and pickup compliment*** we might be able to figure out the model. It's possible a schematic for that specific guitar isn't around on line, but another Ibanez guitar with the same features would likely use the same switch/s potentiometers, caps, etc. so a schematic might be available for a similar model.

*** This would be:

Pickups:
    humbucker/humbucker
    humbucker/single coil/single coil
    humbucker/single coil/humbucker

Controls:
    1 volume/1 tone
    2 volume/2 tone
    etc.

I assume it has a single blade switch or a single toggle switch?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The picture is not showing. Probably because you don't have enough posts yet so you are restricted.
      Can you post it at a photo hosting service and post a link?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Pick the model from here: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Category:2006_models

And then go here for the wiring diagram: http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams/

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post

And then go here for the wiring diagram: http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams/
          Here's another

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post

Further to this, all the Gio line models start with the letter 'G' : https://web.archive.org/web/20150117...gio_index.html

Unfortunately, I very much doubt there will be a schematic available for any active electronics in the guitar.
            Wiring diagram should be available though. In the worst case scenario you might have to bypass the active electronics and wire it up as a passive set-up.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Further to this, all the Gio line models start with the letter 'G' : https://web.archive.org/web/20150117...gio_index.html

Unfortunately, I very much doubt there will be a schematic available for any active electronics in the guitar.
              Wiring diagram should be available though. In the worst case scenario you might have to bypass the active electronics and wire it up as a passive set-up.
              I didn't see where it was indicated as active electronics. I sort of thought the same myself at first based on the "take out all the electronic components and replace the caps" statement. There's just not that much going on in a passive guitar. But all the Gio guitars I looked at are passive. So unless an active preamp was added I think this is just a passive wired guitar. There are two tone controls on some of them so that might qualify "replace the caps since they were so old they needed changing anyways".?. Some guys just think replacing capacitors with anything other than stock is a good thing. The notion that old electrolytic caps might need replacing may not be an actuality considering the performance of this first "tech" I think, based on her post, that Ultrawave is much more likely to do a proper repair.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                The picture is not showing. Probably because you don't have enough posts yet so you are restricted.
                Can you post it at a photo hosting service and post a link?
                Here's a link
                https://imgur.com/a/tQrA7ae

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Welcome.

If you can tell us the control and pickup compliment*** we might be able to figure out the model. It's possible a schematic for that specific guitar isn't around on line, but another Ibanez guitar with the same features would likely use the same switch/s potentiometers, caps, etc. so a schematic might be available for a similar model.

*** This would be:

Pickups:
                  humbucker/humbucker

Controls:
                  1 volume/1 tone
                  2 volume/2 tone
                  etc.

I'll see if I can figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Pickups:
                    humbucker/humbucker

Controls:
                    1 volume/1 tone
                    2 volume/2 tone
                    etc.

He says it's

1 volume/1 tone

5-way switch

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrawave View Post
                      He says it's

1 volume/1 tone

5-way switch
                      https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39501u0026d=1361924103u0026t humb=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=39501u0026d=1361924103u0026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	853498

Click image for larger version

Name:	1080004af63f3270c39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	853499
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Donīt worry about "different brand - different model", the schematic wiring shown above is "universal" and will work fine with your guitar or any other with the same pickup configuration.

That said, a couple pictures will help us know we are all talking the same.

Such as: full guitar, headstock, pickups/controls closeups for model identification.

Open circuit cavity, showing wires, switch, pots, jacks.

For closeups, maybe an old but "real camera" you have gathering dust on some closet will give better sharper pictures than a cellphone, since the latter are optimized for 1 to 4 meter away portraits and not that much for 30/40 cm away pictures, but hey, any picture is better than nothing.

As suggested above, upload them to some picture holding site and post links here we can open and see.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The IMGUR post shows what looks like a standard HSS strat, but with a funny red button on the upper bout? Is there any text/label showing what that does? Is there a control cavity behind it?
                          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

In case there is any confusion, here is the actual schematic from Ibanez for the GRX40. It does differ slightly from vintagekiki's posted schematic because of the pickup construction. The 331 capacitor would be 330pf and the 223 capacitor would be .022uf

Credit goes to g1 and Jazz. I was able to ID the guitar because of g1's photo request and I used Jazz's links to find the schematic.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Chuck H; 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X