No announcement yet.

Gretsch HiLotron polepieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured maybe it was magnetized somehow and screwing it up. Only other thing it could be is the alloy is different than the others. Big air void inside?

Comment

I just magnetized a 1018 fillister head humbucker screw. Max. residual B was 25 G. After dropping it on the floor this reduced to 9 G.

Measuring the Gauss values on top of the polepieces in the PU should show a low value for the bad screw.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-28-2019, 02:49 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I'd contact Tom Jones at TVJones pickups as he'll probably have what you need. Tell him I said hello.

Comment

It worked! I used a dremel tool with two cutting wheels together on the spindle to cut a slot in the end of the #8-32 threaded steel rod. Then I cut the piece to length (3/4") and used small jewelers files to smooth and shape the top of my new polepiece. (Only the part that shows) It took me at least a dozen tries to get the slot centered on the end of the rod, I'm sure there's some sort of jig for that. The hardware store couldn't tell me exactly what sort of steel it was (SAE 1010, 1022 etc.) but whatever, it was a quick & dirty solution that cost me less than $5.00. I think after a year or so the new polepiece will age enough to almost match the others...Thanks everybody who weighed in!

Comment

Working...
          X