Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my cab broken? (Orange PPC412)

Hi all,

Apologies, new user with a noob question here, but can't seem to find anything else online to help me and thought I'd dip into your fine community.

I recently got an Orange PPC412 cab off Ebay. It's in very good condition having spent almost all its life in a live-in flight case. I put my Orange TH30 head through it.

However, the right hand jack input on the back of the cab doesn't seem to work. The TH30 has one 16 ohm and two 8 ohm outputs - plugging from any of these into the left jack input on the cab works fine, but going into the right there is no noise at all, completely dead. FYI, I am not going into both inputs or anything like that, just running one cable (and it is proper speaker cable, not instrument cable) from the head into the cab.

I guess my question is, is this a feature of the cab, where the right jack input only works under certain conditions? eg. if both jacks are being used? Or to daisy chain two cabs together? Or is it broken? If it is the latter, any idea if it's an easy fix?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks.

Open it up (the jack panel on the 4x12) and look! Post pics if you cannot figure it out.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Hi Ashm .... and welcome to the site.

Take a look at the description for this cabinet - Orange PC412. Here is what I read:

"... 2 X PARALLEL ¼” INPUT JACKS FOR ‘DAISY-CHAINING TO ANOTHER 16 OHM CABINET (TOTAL LOAD = 8 OHMS)..."

To me, that says the jacks are connected to one another, straight across. So it would not matter which jack you go into.

When you go into the right jack, do you hear a "click" sound? That would tell us the pin from your cable is engaging the tip of the jack. Pull the jack (just undo the four mounting screws) and look at the jack. Insert the cable and compare the left to the right. Do they look the same?

This cabinet is 16 ohms. On the amp...

Connect 1 x 16 ohm cabinet to the 16 ohm speaker output jack socket.
      Connect 1 x 8 ohm cabinet to either of the 8 ohm speaker output jack sockets.
      Connect 2 x 16ohm cabinets to both of the 8ohm speaker output jack sockets.

Here is the manual for the amp - Orange TH30 Combo Manual.

Tom

Comment

Both jacks should be identical.
        They are wired in parallel (or should be.)

Take the jack plate off and have a look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Plate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	853548

Comment

Working...
        X