Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the love of God, why can't I repair this instrument cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of God, why can't I repair this instrument cable?

Wading thru a pile of damaged cables for a customer, cut a busted 1/4" male off and solder on a new one. Rats, it measures partially shorted, so I cut the other wonky looking end off. It still measures partially shorted, so I cut it off and do it again. Same thing, partially shorted. Now, I have repaired and made hundres of cables in my time, but this one is testing me. So I cut it off and do it again, verrry carefully. Quess what? partially shorted. I get no changes when I flex every inch of the cable, so I am really wondering here, wtf?

It turns out, the spot on my wooden top bench where I was measuring, was the only spot it measured partially open. I discovered that front and center area of my wooden bench is conductive! If I put a piece of paper under the jack in that spot it reads open, as does it in other spots on the bench. It must have absorbed enough DeOxit and such over time that the wood is actually conductive. I can stick my probes in it and see it.

Wow, that really had me going! Probably the first time around the connector was just fine,
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I don't have a conductive bemch, but I have had my share of run-ins with that @$#%ing conductive foil they put in so much of the instrument cable nowadays... Causes the same symptoms - a few 10s of Kohms resistance between hot & shield, & a pretty bad drop in signal...

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Or sometimes there are multiple kinks in the cable causing shorts or opens.

Comment

I didn't go with the classic wood bench. Mine is covered in formica The stuff is like teflon in many ways. You can pop solder and cooled flux, etc. right off of it. Utterly non conductive and water (ok, beer) proof.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          I didn't go with the classic wood bench. Mine is covered in formica
          Oh, I also work on the kitchen table
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            Oh, I also work on the kitchen table
            Well, I do too. And this IS a kitchen table, sort of, but not MY kitchen table. When the wife and I ran a food service I made a 4'x8' center island for the work space. After we closed shop I sawed it in half longitudinally, mounted it on corbels against two walls in a corner of the "spare room" and it's now my work bench. Waste not.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It must have absorbed enough DeOxit
              Deoxit is non-conductive.

I would suspect absorbed salts and moisture. (Or your body resistance if you touched the probe tips with your fingers while measuring )
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

"Deoxit is non-conductive."

So is water, until it is introduced to contaminates.

"(Or your body resistance if you touched the probe tips with your fingers while measuring )"

Come on now. Give me some credit?
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

So is water, until it is introduced to contaminates.
                  That's why I mentioned the salts. BTW, a piece of paper wetted with tap water measures in the 100k range. Same piece of paper soaked with Deoxit has a resistance >200M at 10mm distance.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-03-2019, 08:23 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Years ago, I was tracing a current draw in a Cadillac, and had exhausted all my options dropping circuits one at a time. I asked my partner to tell me why I still had a draw, when everything was lifted from the battery. He looked and said, "you still have the alternator connected". I moved the heater hose that was touching the battery terminal on the alternator, and lost my draw!
                    The rubber hose was conductive! I changed both heater hoses, and fixed the guys problem.

Comment

Electricity does what it WANTS, man. *mic drop*
                      --
                      I build and repair guitar amps
                      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                        Electricity does what it WANTS, man. *mic drop*
                        Well, it acts according to the laws of physics. And that makes its actions explainable and predictable if conditions are known.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                          Well, it acts according to the laws of physics. And that makes its actions explainable and predictable if conditions are known.
                          You don´t catch many "this is a joke" clues, do you?

Such as :
                          *mic drop*
                          Oh well, maybe this was also "lost in translation".

Although I half expected you would lecture us on Gravitational Fields and Acceleration under a constant force.

Just sayin´
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            Well, I do too. And this IS a kitchen table, sort of, but not MY kitchen table. When the wife and I ran a food service I made a 4'x8' center island for the work space. After we closed shop I sawed it in half longitudinally, mounted it on corbels against two walls in a corner of the "spare room" and it's now my work bench. Waste not.
                            Oh, now I understand why you quickly sold it.
                            It must have been very hard when customers ordered fries, hash browns, shepherd´s pie or , worst of all, baked potatoes

Just sayin´
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

You don´t catch many "this is a joke" clues, do you?
                              Obviously not. Maybe you could help a foreigner/ non-native speaker to understand?
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X