Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the love of God, why can't I repair this instrument cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    That is an uncanny likeness!

And some of our best, fry ordering customers were potatoes. We Always kept it on the DL.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Don't mind Juan, he's okay. Just cranky.

Juan, play nice!

Jusrin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I had some cables older than most peoples grown children. I would repair them, shorten them, resolder the Switchcraft ends. Recently I bought some main brand cables on the cheap. I cut the ends off of my old cables, put them in the drawer, and threw the cables away. They do wear out. Can only be stepped on and impacted so many times. They corrode internally, outgass, dry out, etc. I doubt these new ones will last 40 years.. but for $12 apiece who cares... Ah the modern world in a cable..

Comment

Oh yeah. I'm still using a cable I got in 1984!!! Surprisingly, the neoprene jacket hasn't failed and only one end has been replaced. Actually repaired, I didn't need to replace it. IIRC it has slightly lower capacitance than other 20' cables and so I favored it when I gigged so I wouldn't need to go to a 15'. Now it's just the cable I still use. Some day it'll fail irreparably and an era will have ended
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Does the inner jacket covering the conductor have a black lining on its outer sheath? If so, that black lining is conductive and must not make xontact with the conductor.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
              Does the inner jacket covering the conductor have a black lining on its outer sheath? If so, that black lining is conductive and must not make xontact with the conductor.

Just a thought.
              Good point! Some cables have a conductive plastic sheath as you describe, it needs to be trimmed away from signal carrying points inside plugs. A long time ago a band I was working for got a box full of patch cables from Ernie Ball, thrown in as a freebie because the star was Ball endorser. Some giftie... most of 'em didn't work well. They looked great, had good plugs, nice flexible cable. BUT they had a carbon-infused cloth inner sheath crammed against the signal conductor. Once I figured out what the problem was, some quick work with a razor blade, trimmed that black cloth back just a quarter inch, got 'em all fixed right quick.

Thanks for mentioning this Tone Meister!
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

And lucky is the man who didn't learn that the hard way. I know that conductive sheath fooled me one day long ago.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've been fooled by the conductive sheath as well on some nice Canare cable a few years ago. I know to cut it back now.
                  It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I was working backline - long story short, the guitar sounded awful, and we quickly determined that it was his FullTone cable, so I traded him. Back at the shop, the Fulltone measured 10k Ohms from tip to sleeve. I could not get either connector apart in order to fix it (?!), but I'm sure it was the same issue discussed above.

Comment

FWIW, the conductive sleeve serves 2 purposes:

1) It essentially increases shielding coverage to 100%.

2) It strongly reduces cable handling noise: Flexing a cable causes friction between the wires of the shield and the insulator. This results in electrically charged spots on the surface of the insulator causing static (triboelectric) noises when the shield contacts theses spots. The conductive sleeve prevents the surface charges.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        And lucky is the man who didn't learn that the hard way. I know that conductive sheath fooled me one day long ago.

Then I am not lucky. I learned it the hard way after building THREE touring pedalboards with a total of 118 connectors! Yes, I had to go back and check/repair each connection. Turned a two day job into three.

Comment

Working...
                        X