multiple speakers and SPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Times change, I remember when "gay" meant happy and bright.
    Well, at the peak of the British Empire, up to WW2 beginning, it meant just that.
    I remember many references in Literature, such as:
    Fortunately, however, we often found this man in London, in England, meditating on the gay London life and its pedantic modes, its fashions, its beautiful girls, and on his bright and extraordinary intellectual exploits in the famous University of London.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I think most people actually know that gay can mean merry. Once in awhile you'll hear a fairly contemporary reference to that effect. Off the top of my head I can site the song "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story circa 1961 and the Flintstones theme song (We'll have a gay old time) from about the same era, but continuing to the late 60's. And "I" was watching reruns (with the unedited theme song, of course) into my early teen years I think. So television had no trouble with the idea that gay means merry at least up until about 1981 for my experience. Certainly there are more recent references I'm not remembering or aware of.

Then there's "queer"... Same thing I think. And for some reason it sounds much more pejorative than gay even though gay was used by about a billion adolescent school kids in the 80's and 90's to describe almost anything as being lame or stupid.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Gay as lame or stupid? Guilty as charged. And it still comes out on occasion. Us oldlings are slow to change. And queer? I personally don't like the co-opting of the word. I use it to mean "odd," and I personally think that many many many of the people who want to self-describe as such are indeed, odd.

I myself would call some of my own ways "queer." I sit in the basement playing with potentially deadly voltages on archane technology from 100 years ago. I lick the spatula and eat the pan scrapings. I talk to myself a LOT & solve the mysteries of the universe. Queer? Yup. Gay? On good days when I drink too much. The other definitions? Nope!

I resent "special interest groups" limiting my use of MY language to mean exclusively whatever narrow definition they want to apply. Dammit, if I want to call someone "queer" I'm going to do it, and it probably has motjing to do with their sex life.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          Gay as lame or stupid? Guilty as charged. And it still comes out on occasion. Us oldlings are slow to change. And queer? I personally don't like the co-opting of the word. I use it to mean "odd," and I personally think that many many many of the people who want to self-describe as such are indeed, odd.

I myself would call some of my own ways "queer." I sit in the basement playing with potentially deadly voltages on archane technology from 100 years ago. I lick the spatula and eat the pan scrapings. I talk to myself a LOT & solve the mysteries of the universe. Queer? Yup. Gay? On good days when I drink too much. The other definitions? Nope!

I resent "special interest groups" limiting my use of MY language to mean exclusively whatever narrow definition they want to apply. Dammit, if I want to call someone "queer" I'm going to do it, and it probably has motjing to do with their sex life.

Justin
          Getting a lil cantankerous are we?

nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

There used to be a pub near here called The Gay Dog. It had been The Gay Dog for as long as I can remember but a few years ago it was changed to The Dog Inn

Comment

I sit in the basement playing with potentially deadly voltages on archane technology from 100 years ago. I lick the spatula and eat the pan scrapings. I talk to myself a LOT & solve the mysteries of the universe.

Attached Files

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                Getting a lil cantankerous are we?

nosaj
                Yup. Don't plan on quitting. It's all in Orwell.

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yup. Don't plan on quitting. It's all in Orwell.

Justin

Attached Files

Comment

Is this the part where we start talking about bullhorns?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X