No announcement yet.

JC120 +15 supply issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never seen a bipolar TO220 that was not BCE across the front. This is only a basic power supply, so ANY NPN of sufficient voltage and current ought to work.

If the unloaded thing only puts out 4v, then I wouldn't waste time looking for loading. Change the transistor.

The transistor diode test finds bad transistors, but they can easily be bad in other ways. How do I test them? By their performance in circuit.

Never seen anything like this? This is just a very basic zener regulated power supply. Should be covered in any power supply tutorials.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I have never seen a bipolar TO220 that was not BCE across the front. This is only a basic power supply, so ANY NPN of sufficient voltage and current ought to work.

If the unloaded thing only puts out 4v, then I wouldn't waste time looking for loading. Change the transistor.

The transistor diode test finds bad transistors, but they can easily be bad in other ways. How do I test them? By their performance in circuit.

Never seen anything like this? This is just a very basic zener regulated power supply. Should be covered in any power supply tutorials.
      G1, Gonz, Bill, Enzo, thanks for all your help! It was the q27 pass transistor. 15+ is up an running all across the amp, chorus and reverb sound dreamy. And by "haven't seen anything like this", I meant this issue in this particular amp! I'm self taught, which means I have huge gaps in my education and forums like this are the only place I can turn to for real world help.

I can't express my appreciation enough, you guys really have given me a way of life- I first came here years ago without understanding even the basics, and now I'm at a point where I can misunderstand the basics on an advanced level. Cheers!

Comment

"I first came here years ago without understanding even the basics, and now I'm at a point where I can misunderstand the basics on an advanced level"

Beautiful!

Comment

I don't think in terms of particular amps. A zener supply is a zener supply, and it doesn;t matter what amp it is in. Whether I ever saw this particular zener supply failure in a JC120 or not is not in my memory.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I feel the need to say that I should have questioned Q27 more in my first response. In thinking about the symptoms I was on the fence about the fault being Q27 or something downstream. If it was downstream then I imagine that even the zener diode 15v would be dragged down too.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
            X