Early Boss CE-2 Ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Boss CE-2 Ticking

I have a black label CE -2, serial number 0000 on the bench. I can't get this thing to stop ticking both on and off. The ticking changes with the rate and increases with the volume. I've read up a lot on this issue and it sounds like it is a common problem. I've replaced all the power supply caps. The only thing left are the 1uf caps. I've checked the caps that I have pulled and they all test okay. ESR checks good on the remaining 1uf's. Surely they didn't let this thing leave the factory with this issue so I'm struggling to figure out what to fix. Since this is such an early model I hesitate to mod it. I may try to add shielded cable to the rate pot. Others have said this helps. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by tdlunsfo; 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM.

troubleshoot test and replace as needed. Don't know if this matches your model but it might help get the ball rolling in your favor

Click image for larger version

Name:	boss-ce2-chorus-schematic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	853630
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

That's it. It actually works fine and sounds decent, minus the ticking.

Comment

Just realized I posted this within the amp forum. Mods, can you move this to effects?

Comment

1980 Boss CE-2 ticking

I have a black label CE -2, serial number 0000 on the bench. Pedal works well but has a ticking on or off and also notice a volume loss when comparing the pedal in and out of the chain. I've replaced all the power supply caps. The only thing left are the 1uf caps. I've checked the caps that I have pulled and they all test okay. ESR checks good on the remaining 1uf's. Surely they didn't let this thing leave the factory with these issues so I'm struggling to figure out what to fix. Weak chips? I may try to add shielded cable to the rate pot or Mark's mod with the resistor on pin 6 of the LFO. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

Does the ticking rate correspond to the modulation speed setting?
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Changes with the rate pot. I assume that is the modulation speed?

Comment

The dual op-amp handling the LFO duties (IC2A/B) should be a low-current unit, either TL022 or LM358. IF it's a higher-current unit, like a TL072 or 4558 or 5532, it will pull enough current whenever it generates a basic square wave to create a spike in the audio path.

Another approach is that adopted by Boss for the BF-2, which you can read about on page 2 here: http://moosapotamus.net/files/stompb...-mo-tremlo.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have an original JRC4558. Think it's been doing this since it was manufactured? Saw you mention the R and C mod in another forum. Sounds like I may have to go that route. I just hate to modify this thing since it is such an early version.

Comment

Merge with https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=48817

Comment

Originally posted by tdlunsfo View Post
                      done
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Looking at this a little closer and I think I'm more worried about the volume loss at this point. Coming out of the output of the first op amp I am losing almost half of my signal. I am no boss chorus expert but this seems excessive. Any thoughts here? I have some tl022 on order so can try those in place of the 4558 in a few days.

Comment

First is the bias ref set? Upper left VR3. Set so outputs of IC1 are at half its supply voltage. If it is off center, your sweep could be banging the rails.

Does the ticking remain when you turn off the effect for dry pass through? Or only tick when effect is on?
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The ticking is there with the effect on or off. I did set the bias using the pot but it was days ago. It could've gotten bumped with all the moving around. Will check it again when I get back to it.

Comment

Does it do the 'ticking' with a battery?

Comment

Working...
                              X