X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiwatt DR103 need more bias voltage to new tubes

Dear,
    I have a hiwatt Custom 100W DR103 ´70 .
    I add a new power tubes and the bias current is 50mA. I change the bias resistor 47K (-36Vdc) to 220k (-44Vdc). But the bias current
    it is still elevated. I tried to put 330K bias resistor bit the voltage no changed.
    How can I down the current of polarization?
    I am doing something wrong?
    thanks, regards

the solution is to create a voltage doubler circuit,so instead of -38V you get around 70,and then you can adjust it with a voltage divider with a trimmer.
    https://hiwatt.org/Schematics/BiasCkts2.gif

Comment

You could also try reducing the 1K that feeds the diode. It may help some, but the doubler that alexradium mentioned is the best solution.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

alexrarium has the common solution. Just to add clarity to your trouble though...

Notice that the series resistor for the bias voltage divider circuit is only 1k while the load is 47k. The division is only 1/47th of the voltage. This is why adding resistance to the load portion of the divider made so little difference. There simply isn't much voltage from the source to increase.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Actually -44V bias should be enough to tame any real EL34. I run my 100W Marshall at -38V for 36mA (@Vp= 470V) plate idle current (Svetlanas). What tubes do you use?

Just to make sure that you don't have leaky coupling caps: What is the bias voltage measured directly at the EL34 sockets (pin 5)?
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-13-2019, 09:02 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            Actually -44V bias should be enough to tame any real EL34. I run my 100W Marshall at -38V for 36mA (@Vp= 470V) plate idle current (Svetlanas).
            Tie the suppressor grids to -Vbias and you should be able to get away with even less.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X