Thread: A cancelling effect between pickups

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

A cancelling effect between pickups

I thought I could fix anything, but this one has me stumped. Some help from you experts would be greatly appreciated! Concerning a Fender P bass. The neck pickup is the original split pickup style. The bridge pickup is a Bill Lawrence EB-50. I wired the EB-50 per their instructions, being green to white, black and shield to ground, red hot. When both volume controls are set the same, or full, there is a cancelling effect, losing volume especially in the lower frequencies. My first thought was phase issue, so reversed one of the pickup's wires, but no help. The wiring is conventional as shown in this schematic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pbass wiring.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	53329

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 879/1
    Given: 592/2
    Not the explanation for your problem, but is there a reason for the reverse wiring of the vol pots?

I would have thought phase issue as well, strange.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    - Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/1
    Given: 12/1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoef View Post
    I thought I could fix anything, but this one has me stumped. Some help from you experts would be greatly appreciated! Concerning a Fender P bass. The neck pickup is the original split pickup style. The bridge pickup is a Bill Lawrence EB-50. I wired the EB-50 per their instructions, being green to white, black and shield to ground, red hot. When both volume controls are set the same, or full, there is a cancelling effect, losing volume especially in the lower frequencies. My first thought was phase issue, so reversed one of the pickup's wires, but no help. The wiring is conventional as shown in this schematic:

Name:	pbass wiring.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	53329
    it should be out of phase if bass frequencies cancel out.
    probably you need to rearrange the Lawrence wiring,but i would check out first with the company customer support,maybe they already know the right connection

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 769/1
    Given: 628/1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoef View Post
    ......My first thought was phase issue, so reversed one of the pickup's wires, but no help......
    I'm thinking it almost has to be a phase issue. You reversed one wire? I don't understand what you mean. How do you reverse one wire? What exactly did you try? If it's completely out of phase with the other pickup, you'd have to reverse black and red. That's assuming I understand your current wiring and that it is correct for the pickup.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/0
    When the input to the pot, coming from the pickup, goes to the center lug and the output from the pot is taken from an outer pot lug this pot is setup to be a blend pot. The volume of each pickup can be individually adjusted even though the pot outputs are in parallel. This is unlike when the pickup input goes into the outer pot lugs and the output comes from the pot center lug when two pickups are put in parallel, adjusting one pickup volume affects both pickups volume. This pot wiring style allows no blending.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 157/2
    Given: 15/0
    Is it possible that the magnet for one of them needs to be flipped around?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Of course yours could be different, but this is supposed to be the typical wiring colors for Bill Lawrence pickups.

Name:	Humbuckingseriesparallelspolicoil.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	53334

You should verify with a meter, but if the diagram is correct, your wiring is wrong and you've shorted across a coil.

Edit: In addition, there could also be a phase issue with the other pickup.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thank you all for your thoughts.
    Helmholtz, not sure what you mean by "reverse wiring", however, this schematic shows how the bass is now wired. I looked up wiring schemes, and I often see this as a popular scheme.
    Alexradium, Indeed, as I mentioned, the first thing that came to mind is phasing. I tried reversing the bridge pickup, meaning the red and black wires - no change.
    The Dude - Very interesting. Your Bill Lawrence wiring is quite different from mine! I will try it..thanks. Indeed, I will check the pickup with my ohmmeter.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0
    I guess someone has to address this. There were two pickup makers who went by the name "Bill Lawrence", and both of them have different given names. I think the diagram above is from the original "Bill Lawrence", the late Willi L Stitch (aka his old stage name: Billy Lorento), who designed pickups from as early as 1943, and later for Framus, Gibson, Fender, etc and for his last personal business called "Wilde Pickups". Here's his personal website: http://www.billlawrence.com/

The other one is a former business partner named Jzchak Wajcman who uses the name "Bill Lawrence USA" for his business. Here's his website:
    http://billlawrenceusa.com/

You can try asking here ff you aren't sure which one made your pickup: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/guit...ilde-gate-f11/

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/0
    Given: 11/0
    A split coil P pickup won't necessarily play well with a normal pickup as two strings might be out of phase all the time. Figure out which two are out (sounds like the A and E string are out) and flip that half of the P pickup's polarity.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
    I guess someone has to address this. There were two pickup makers who went by the name "Bill Lawrence", and both of them have different given names. I think the diagram above is from the original "Bill Lawrence", the late Willi L Stitch (aka his old stage name: Billy Lorento), who designed pickups from as early as 1943, and later for Framus, Gibson, Fender, etc and for his last personal business called "Wilde Pickups". Here's his personal website: http://www.billlawrence.com/

The other one is a former business partner named Jzchak Wajcman who uses the name "Bill Lawrence USA" for his business. Here's his website:
    http://billlawrenceusa.com/

You can try asking here ff you aren't sure which one made your pickup: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/guit...ilde-gate-f11/
    I don't disagree with your Bill Lawrence info, but it should be easy enough to figure out the wiring configuration with a meter and an ear.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't disagree with your Bill Lawrence info, but it should be easy enough to figure out the wiring configuration with a meter and an ear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

Thumbs Up/Down
    David, Indeed, the bass side (E and A) had more of a problem than the other. I went ahead and swapped the two wires on the bass pickup. It improved it some, but not perfect. I suppose this is the best it will be. The problem is only there when both volume controls are in the same position. Being a bassist myself, I rarely if ever have both controls set as such. I have either more neck than bridge, or vice versa. Perhaps the customer will be satisfied with it now???
    Thanks for the tip, David

Thread Information