Why do patch cords Die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do patch cords Die?

I was wondering why do 1/4in plugs go bad over time . I hate to junk good plugs I have had for 30 yrs When I put on my little DMM they only show .4 of R But one patch cord make my 63 crackle...It not that I cant get a new one I was just wondering

It's the same reason drill bits go bad. Nothing lasts forever. 30 years ain't bad.
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-16-2019, 11:21 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I've been using the same Switchcraft 280 shielded T/S plugs on my unbalance guitar cords and instrumentation adapters, as well as Pomona 1297 BNC Female to Male Switchcraft T/S plugs for decades. One of the '1297's has worn thru the plating and has exposed brass, but, still continues to work fine. Some that haven't been used in a while always seem to clean up ok. I have more issues with the aging Switchcraft A3M & A3F cable XLR connectors, where their silver pins oxidize. Caig Gold Wipes usually restore them to decent condition.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Intended or not, you make a good point. You get what you pay for.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'd dip those silver contacts in jewelry cleaner.

Comment

The plug is made up as a rivet. The rivet gets loose and the whole thing can rotate inside. Loose.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'd say all the cables I've ever gotten in my life are equally good - they all last the same amount of time before they break or malfunction in some way. But this is where I will stand by a Switchcraft every single time: they are MUCH more repairable than Neutrik and other nameless connectors. I also find Switchcraft ends able to take alot more bending before the snap. I can always use either solder or super glue to fix them.

Now, if I get a bad spot in a cable, I'll wiggle it inch by inch til I find the bad spot & make more cables out of it.

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I find the broken point using my multimeterīs capacitance meter.
                I made an adapter: a jack with 2 short brass pigtails, some 2 cm long which I plug into the meter socket and then plug one end of the cable in the jack, then the other.
                Suppose one end measures 100pF, the other end 200pF, now I know the break is 1/3 of cable length,starting from the lower capacitance side.
                That "100pF per foot/meter" spec found on cable datasheets sure comes handy.
                Notice I donīt care about absolute capacitance value, just the ratio.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  The plug is made up as a rivet. The rivet gets loose and the whole thing can rotate inside. Loose.
                  Good point. I've had to flare that rivet on a couple plugs over the years as a result of the whole assembly getting loose.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                  X