Looking for an Odd Potentiometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an Odd Potentiometer

I'm working on an SxA100+ Electro Voice powered speaker. The Gain Master volume pot is toast (open). I tried cleaning, disassembling and reworking it, etc. No go. It's shot. I contacted EV and they said no parts are available for the amp in this thing. They offered to sell me the entire amp module, which is silly since it only needs a pot. I've scoured the web to no avail. If I can't find the right PCB mount pot, I could certainly cobble something in there, but I'd rather find the correct part. I think it's an Elcon 12mm pot. Here are the specs as near as I can tell and some pics. Thanks for any help.

Actual side to side measurement is 13mm
    Shaft length is 30mm D shaft
    Value is 10K audio taper

Click image for larger version

Name:	SxA100+ Master Pot Back.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	874506

Name:	SxA100+ Master Pot Side.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	874507

Name:	SxA100+ Master Pot Top.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	874508
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-17-2019, 04:00 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

a BI 9mm (P090S-04F15AR10K) might fit but you're never going to get a 30mm long shaft, maybe double up 2?

Comment

It's that 30mm Shaft that's gumming up the works. Mouser has a D shaft, vertical mount of what looks to be approximate pin spacing, but, alas, it's only a 15mm shaft. Is it possible to replace the wafer with one from a typical 13mm (more circular) pot? Perhaps?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Or buy the new short shaft pot, and move the old long shaft into it.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've used 6mm ID thin walled brass tube to splice two shafts together to get a longer one.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Having just had a Fender Blues Junior open yesterday, and had one of it's pots off the PCB that seemed to have been buggered while prying off the chicken-head knobs, those parts have the same shaft length, though their mounting is horizontal, not vertical. But, the resistance element is the same. Going off of Enzo's suggestion, buy a similar part having the desired taper, swap out the resistance element and re-assemble it. I found a bunch of these pots at Darren Riley, though not 10k audio. Did find a 50k audio, which in your application would no doubt be fine.

Name:	50k Audio Pot Fender #00373323000.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	853654

Fender P/N 0037323000. Darren Riley has them for $6.95. The leads would have to be bent down at the right angle, but are long enough.
            Last edited by nevetslab; 04-17-2019, 05:48 PM.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
              I've used 6mm ID thin walled brass tube to splice two shafts together to get a longer one.
              That sounds good, but how do you keep it all together? I've never had much success gluing nylon (which I assume the shafts are made from.) Do you drill crosswise and pin the parts together?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
                That sounds good, but how do you keep it all together? I've never had much success gluing nylon (which I assume the shafts are made from.) Do you drill crosswise and pin the parts together?
                Crimping lightly does the trick for plastic shafts.
                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

1st: Thanks everybody for chiming in to help.

2nd: Good news! I had left several messages with EV- email, voice mail, tech assist, etc. I got a second reply from them today. This time they told me they have the part, it's in stock, and I just ordered it. If anyone else comes here looking for it, the part number is F.01U.113.299.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Alpha Potentiometers makes a lot of those style pots click here http://www.alpha-product.net/en/prod...20Serials/607/

Comment

Working...
                    X