Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Voltage cable with Quick Disconnect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Voltage cable with Quick Disconnect.

I've been experimenting with dropping B+ voltage significantly in my ancient Field Coil speaker amps (Valco Supro and National) and have had a great degree of success in lowering the Audio output by dropping B+ voltage, without disturbing the tonality or response too much.

The volume on Field coil speaker amps drops a lot if you reduce the B+ voltage significantly (as in 100vdc or more), because you not only reduce the output of the tubes, but the Field coil strength at the same time, so it's a good way to get all the distortion of the Preamp, PI, and Power tube sections at a much lower volume. (Pubs don't like too loud a music these days). I've tried many master volume arrangements, including post PI tube, but they never sound good without the Power section being driven a bit. I usually play my amps flat out or close, playing hard rock.

First thing I tried was using a Variac to drop wall voltage, but as everyone here knows you need to drop a lot of AC voltage to attenuate audio output, and that also drops the filament voltages and is not healthy for the tubes, but furthermore, I don't like the "Brown" sound too much in a vintage amp, of for that matter a Marshall.

Next up I used 17 x 12V 5W Zener diodes on a tag strip in series to nock off quite a bit of voltage. That worked out well, and the diodes never get seriously hot at around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit Peak, and that dropped the power tube plates from 350vdc to around 200vdc (going by memory here). Problem is the volume drop is fixed, unless I want to put taps in at various points on two tag strips.

Next I tried a Big 10k Ohm 100W Rheostat. This seems to work the best, even though it seems to introduce more compression, and perhaps more sag. The volume can be brought down just a little, or way down and anything in between, and everything seems to function nicely and sound just lower (the amp runs seriously cooler). There is some drop off of Bass, as you might suspect from the radical shift in voltage and operation, but not too much on the amp in question to make it unusable, and it still sounds much thicker than with a master volume.

Sorry for the long beginning, but currently I have the 10k Ohm Rheostat mounted inside a vented wooden project box, and it never get's above 130deg Fahrenheit, so I am happy with that. The problem is I have it tethered to the amp with 16 gauge speaker wire, and this is less than optimal.

Question : I would like to use a better cable system for the high voltage out of the amp to the Rheostat box, and have the ability to disconnect the Rheostat when I move the amp from gig to home.

I don't care if the amp is not functioning without the big Rheostat, as I will always run it connected. My goal is to have no serious shock hazard, and some means to disconnect the box rapidly without a soldering iron involved.

I could just mount the Rheostat in a small box inside the amp, but the cabinet is small, and doesn't have much room, and I like the concept of an external box that can be on top of the amp and dialed in without going into the back of the amp.

Thanks for any Ideas !
    Last edited by HaroldBrooks; 04-19-2019, 08:34 PM.
    " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Somebody here had built a variable supply for their field coil speaker, if I get lucky I might remember who. They would likely have some pointers.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I would think a 2 pin or more Molex connector and some 600v wire would be good enough to negate a shock hazard.

Comment

It was nosaj that I was trying to think of. Here's the thread: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=39353
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          It was nosaj that I was trying to think of. Here's the thread: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=39353
          Thanks ! Yes a Flextone type arrangement would be even better with a separate power supply. I will try to do that next, and it is my understanding that would be an even better route, since I could maintain the B+ voltages across the amp, and lower the output of the field coil magnet independently. That would be ideal, and I will consider it in the not too distant future.

Question, do you need high voltage for the field coil ? or just sufficient current + a modest voltage ? I believe I once saw a Field coil speaker that was run from a 24vdc power supply for sale on Reverb.com. If I could vary the output of such a supply, I would achieve the goal, but not sure how that would work as of yet. I don't understand field coils other than how the work in an amp (high voltage and as a choke prior to the power tubes).

I've written to nosaj, and he is helpful as well. Now let me continue reading the link you sent (should have done that already) because I see the topic of low voltage and flexibility in field strength already came up.

All you guys here are teaching me a lot ! Thank you for your generosity and help !
          " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldBrooks View Post
            Thanks ! Yes a Flextone type arrangement would be even better with a separate power supply. I will try to do that next, and it is my understanding that would be an even better route, since I could maintain the B+ voltages across the amp, and lower the output of the field coil magnet independently. That would be ideal, and I will consider it in the not too distant future.

Question, do you need high voltage for the field coil ? or just sufficient current + a modest voltage ? I believe I once saw a Field coil speaker that was run from a 24vdc power supply for sale on Reverb.com. If I could vary the output of such a supply, I would achieve the goal, but not sure how that would work as of yet. I don't understand field coils other than how the work in an amp (high voltage and as a choke prior to the power tubes).

I've written to nosaj, and he is helpful as well. Now let me continue reading the link you sent (should have done that already) because I see the topic of low voltage and flexibility in field strength already came up.

All you guys here are teaching me a lot ! Thank you for your generosity and help !
            A lot depends on the speaker, I salvaged mine from an Organo (Baldwin made an organ that you could install into a piano). I used the data from the Organo Schematic.
            I think that one I used about a 100v DC. If I remember Correctly G1 helped me get there.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
            X