Roland JC120 Jalco PCB Phone Jack thread issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland JC120 Jalco PCB Phone Jack thread issue

I'm sure most of you who have had to replace the Jalco 3-terminal Mono PCB mounted phone jacks on Roland JC120's (and others), and have the plastic bushing just break right off while tightening the metal nut on the threaded bushing. That's where this current project began. I was out of the replacement jacks (lately using a Kobicon part purchased thru Studio Sound Electronics for $4.95 ea + shpg, plus extra for the nut/washer).

When I swapped out the two Jalco original parts on Ch 2's input board with the new Kobicon parts, one of the two jacks just didn't want to allow the nut to thread back on. I tried different nuts, with repeated tendency to want to cross-thread, which they will do with the greatest of ease. I finally removed the board to have a closer look. That's when I saw the defect in the injection molded part:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Jacks-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	874517 Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Jacks-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	874518

If you look close at the thread pattern of the lower uninstalled jack, you can clearly see the threads on the upper half are completely misaligned with the lower half. The upper jack was the one that repeatedly wouldn't accept the nut, and it began buggering the thread. So, I had to remove that jack, looked thru the remainder of the 6 pcs I just received, to find one more (with the same defect). First time I've run into this.

I'm NOT a big fan of the Jalco jack, as the threads stop before they reach the body of the jack, and there's actually a void, which is where the bushing breaks off with the greatest of ease when attempting to tighten the loose nut again.

Studio Sound Electronics has responded by sending replacement jacks, so hopefully that will solve this for the time being.
    Last edited by nevetslab; 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

StudioSound Electronics sent 3 new replacement Kobicon J-539 jacks to replace the two with bad injection molded threads, along with a small 3-LED (WHT) pocket flashlight, which uses four LR-44 Silver Oxide button batteries. I can always use another of those.....always having one in my coin pocket along with my flash drive.

So, nice to have your vendor respond promptly on defective parts!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

We started using SSE for quite a while. Always good service. Some stuff we can get for less from the amp manufacturer, but SSE is faster to order from and they ship more quickly, so I get it from them. We've been quite satisfied with their Revisit reverb tanks too.

Comment

Working...
      X