Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Circuit topology, advice? Power supply and biasing question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
    I notice the output stage feedback is now connected to V2A grid. Is that correct?
    I saw that too. I haven't scrounged for an example of that in prior art. Is that a Dumble thing?

There might need to be a mixing resistor off the plate of the recovery stage to control the ratio of signal-to-feedback. Just thinking out loud.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I've seen that in silverface bassmans
      I would still rather do it the 'usual' way, like the first posted schematic (although with presence pot, does wonders sometimes)
      Also, it's a good idea to put any kind of resistance between the coupling cap of the previous stage to the grid of the next one, else you get bias shift and grid block. I think even 10k will do, in front of the PI input

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
        I've seen that in silverface bassmans
        I would still rather do it the 'usual' way, like the first posted schematic (although with presence pot, does wonders sometimes)
        Also, it's a good idea to put any kind of resistance between the coupling cap of the previous stage to the grid of the next one, else you get bias shift and grid block. I think even 10k will do, in front of the PI input
        Yes. I see now the AB165 and later Bassmans have this topology. I'm not sure if there's a good engineering reason for the change, but I see it accompanies a change to the way Fender mixed the two input channels together. So I guess they did it 'because they could', but I don't see a savings in component count?
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

They also switched the OT secondaey wires at the speaker jack, green to ground... I've know several who mod AB165 & later to AA864 specs & miss this extra step then wonder why they get a thuddy squealy mess...

The AA165 & later Bassmans were Fender's experimental biotches until lthey finall settled down around 1970 or so. But personally, I prefer the AB165 & later amps for the ability to jump the channels & the super-phat tone on tap. Mine is largely stock & I love it.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
            They also switched the OT secondaey wires at the speaker jack, green to ground... I've know several who mod AB165 & later to AA864 specs & miss this extra step then wonder why they get a thuddy squealy mess...

The AA165 & later Bassmans were Fender's experimental biotches until lthey finall settled down around 1970 or so. But personally, I prefer the AB165 & later amps for the ability to jump the channels & the super-phat tone on tap. Mine is largely stock & I love it.

Justin
            I know better than to think you haven't played through a few of these amps. And I've never played a Bassman head I didn't think was a good amp, but, the SF era amps seem widely variable to me. Some are good and some just aren't within the same model. Surely a lead dress thing. Get it wrong in the right way and you get magic. Otherwise you get harsh, borderline instability. Maybe your Bassman just happens to be a great one

Probably the most impressive Bassman head I played was a BF. Those amps had NOTHING going on. Just a BF amp head with no bells and whistles. But this particular head had "it". It sounded deep, sweet and clear in that way that implies a wet tone even though there's no reverb. Sort of the way your ears feel when they fill with water.?. And the attack had that perfect envelope to compliment a near perfect bell like chime. Bar none the very best clean tone I've heard. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to crank it into hard clipping. Maybe just as well since no amp is a do all and it might have taken the shine off the experience.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The thing about BF Bassmans is, they can be any one if three circuits... And all pretty different. Once they hit the AA270 they stayed a lot more "consistent" as far as circuit topology.

As to lead dress in SF amps, I'll just say that one time I replaced a pot in my BF 67 AB165. I didn't put the wire back "just so," and yup, insta-nrittle & squealy. I put it back the way it was, all fixed. But just shows, not unique to the SF.

Mine also has a TR OT in it & has tge feedback on the 6L6s removed; other than that it's stock as far as audio cirvuit; I added a bias adjust to complement the bias balance; we don't need no stinking matched tubes!

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
              X