No announcement yet.

Orange TH30 with bias issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I have a TH30 here and two of the four EL84 operate at lower level than the other two. I have used a new quartet of EL84 TAD and I have measured the intensity directly through the plate in each one. There is an appreciable difference (8 or 10 mA approximately)".

I correct it: the EL84 quartet did not have a good matching. For some reason I left the amp to examine it again and I just did it now.
    The voltage measurements at the cathodes were 10.8 and 10.7V (in pairs, perfect) but on the plates were:

1. 30.8mA
    2. 27.2mA
    3. 31.0mA
    4. 37.0mA

It was between tubes 2 and 4 where I saw those 10mA difference. Not between pairs. Sorry.
    I have taken those same tubes and measured them in a Classic 30 (fixed bias) through the plates. The measures were:

1. 23.8mA
    2. 22.0mA
    3. 25.1mA
    4. 31.6mA (!)

Itīs definitely a unmatched quartet that I will have to return to the distributor.

I installed another new quartet from TAD and the cathode voltage was: 10.6V in both pairs. On the plates were:

1. 30.7mA
    2. 29.7mA
    3. 31.2mA
    4. 32.0mA

Finally: each cathode sees 75 Ohms (150 Ohms resistor assigned to each pair) and the screen grid resistors are all identical (470 Ohms, measured from node B to pin 9 in all tubes).

In the 2-tube mode, the 100K resistance appears between the cathodes of the inactive pair and ground (disconnected). Everything matches the schematic.

Comment

each cathode sees 75 Ohms (150 Ohms resistor assigned to each pair)
      How this?

150 Ohm per pair corresponds to 300 Ohm per tube in parallel.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

So is. I've finished exhausted with so much measure.
        It would be fun to test how far the intensity rises with 75 Ohms in an EL84

Comment

morning . Job now done
          i was being an idiot.. its now working correctly. i had not checked all the 470r grid stoppers correctly. there are 2 of them and 2 other 5watt psu resistors under the output jack board and it looks like i checked one of the psu resistors instead..
          Biasing all perfect now

My head is been up my arse for the last month as im more interested in the van to campervan conversion im doing . As my semi retirement is coming in about 4 months ..

BBB

Comment

Working...
          X