Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darn those vintage Fender speaker mounting screws!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can´t believe experienced Techs such as Randall and nevetslab weren´t aware of this, it has been THE Fender speaker mounting method for decades and you have each met at least dozens of Fender amps.
    I´m bewildered.

In fact, there´s two versions: the "good" one involving dual threads and the cheesier half thread half winged nail so it does not rotate:

notice the ad copy:

Original Fender speaker mounting stud/nut set.

These speaker mounting studs were used on countless amps of the 50’s, 60’s 70’s and beyond. The reverse thread section screws into the baffle wood and the machine screw section holds the speaker in place using the included keps nuts.

Used on early ’50s and ’60s vintage amplifiers
    Fits most vintage and modern amplifiers
    1” of 8/32” machine head thread
    ¼” of reverse wood thread
    1-½” overall length
    8-32 keps nuts included
    Set of 12
    these are the cheapies:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hmmmm... I don't know if I'd call the 2nd variety "cheapies," as they do seem that they might not strip out their mounting as easily like the way I discovered them...

Either way, I think they were/are an elegant and creative solution to a problem that we now probably take for granted...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Living in Argentina I had to improvise, as always.

I use regular machine screws, flush mount head, of course, drill a slightly too small hole in wood so it has to force thread its way in, of course proper thread, not reverse, and also not coarse "wood" thread , and when head is one wood thickness away I add a dab of epoxy to thread, then drive it home until head is flush ... works like a charm.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          I can´t believe experienced Techs such as Randall and nevetslab weren´t aware of this, it has been THE Fender speaker mounting method for decades and you have each met at least dozens of Fender amps.
          I´m bewildered.

In fact, there´s two versions: the "good" one involving dual threads and the cheesier half thread half winged nail so it does not rotate:

notice the ad copy:

these are the cheapies:

Well, that shows you how many Fender baffles I've taken apart, removed the grill cloth from, extracted these odd-ball fasteners. I never gave it a second thought, apart from being careful not to puncture the cone of a replacement speaker getting it onto all eight of the spikes, and trying NOT to impale my hand when reaching up into the upper cavity by braille to tighten loose mtg nuts.

Always continual education here!
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

JM: I'm actually surprised how few times I've ever had to deal with these screws. If you don't do a lot of cabinet or speaker work, I guess it's possible to never have to deal with them.

I don't like the idea of those winged screws. You either have to pound them in, or tighten the speaker enough to risk warping it. Or it just doesn't seat all the way.

Here's a fun one. What's wrong with this picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2253409.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	853721
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a fun one. What's wrong with this picture?
              Coarse threads are right-handed. Not sure about the machine threads. Mirror image?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here's a picture of the same screws (with the lower tooth count lock washer) available from TAD. It looks to me like both threads are right handed. If they're mirror image then both threads are left handed. I wonder how a mistake like that gets made

Attached Files
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Here's a picture of the same screws (with the lower tooth count lock washer) available from TAD. It looks to me like both threads are right handed. If they're mirror image then both threads are left handed. I wonder how a mistake like that gets made

Murphy's law indicates, once a misteak is made, they will do it over & over again, millions of times. That's called, setting a new world standard.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Murphy's law indicates, once a misteak is made, they will do it over & over again, millions of times.
                    Don't mess with my steak!
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                      Don't mess with my steak!
                      I always turn steaks right handed.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I always turn steaks right handed.
                        Hopefully not for the same reason you don't shake someone's left hand.

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

"I can´t believe experienced Techs such as Randall and nevetslab weren´t aware of this, it has been THE Fender speaker mounting method for decades and you have each met at least dozens of Fender amps.
                          I´m bewildered."

Well, I certainly knew of these screws, I've had bag of them waiting in my shop for over a year for the cab guy to build me my cab. It just never occured to me they were reverse. I drilled my holes about the same size as the machine stud, so instead of just pushing into the hole, I drove them in with a driver. When I came to the wood screw threads, that's when I got very puzzled for a bit.
                          Last edited by Randall; 04-28-2019, 01:54 AM.
                          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                            Hopefully not for the same reason you don't shake someone's left hand.

nosaj
                            The hand you shake with (always seems to be the right) has different reasons in different cultures. In India, yeah, you don't shake lefty. They take it pretty seriously too and it's considered a very offensive insult to offer someone your left hand.

Comment

The hand you shake with (always seems to be the right) has different reasons in different cultures. In India, yeah, you don't shake lefty. They take it pretty seriously too and it's considered a very offensive insult to offer someone your left hand.
                              Pretty much the same all over the mid east, the "sub continent" and north Africa besides. If you really want to make a - bad - impression, pull off your shoe & smack 'em with it. Or just heave your shoes at 'em if beyond swatting distance.

George was pretty good at ducking! Perhaps the shoe toss was a frat party activity he was good at.
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

It's caused those left's are considered Evil

nosaj
                                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X