Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darn those vintage Fender speaker mounting screws!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    I drilled my holes about the same size as the machine stud, so instead of just pushing into the hole, I drove them in with a driver. When I came to the woord screw threads, that's when I got very puzzled for a bit.
    I was wondering what you were talking about earlier when you said "drive the machine threads in clockwise", as it should be loose and just push in for the machine thread part. Now I get it.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
      It's caused those left's are considered Evil

nosaj
      For good reason.

Unless you enjoy a little Cholera, Salmonella and Yellow Fever ... and who nows what else can be carried through the contaminated hand.

Old Religions are actually way more than just "religion" and usually carry a ton of safe Health practices built-in.

Useful practical knowledge from way before anybody had any technical grasp about germs, sanitation, antiseptics, antibiotics or vaccines.

In fact, given the apparently irreversible trend towards Antibiotic resistance shown by many nasty bugs, applying old "keeping it clean instead of trying to clean it later" tidbits are a good safety measure.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This has certainly become one of the <BETTER> examples of Thread Drift in recent memory...

Jusrin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

It actually didn't drift that far... We were discussing screws. Screws that poke through a baffle. If you get a shitty hand in poker you're screwed. No one wants a shitty hand.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            It actually didn't drift that far... We were discussing screws. Screws that poke through a baffle. If you get a shitty hand in poker you're screwed. No one wants a shitty hand.
            Hold that dodgy deal in your left hand then. But remember what's really important, pass the dutchie on the left hand side.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
              This has certainly become one of the <BETTER> examples of Thread Drift in recent memory...

Jusrin
              Why are you surprised?

We started with coarse reverse thread screws and ended with coarse right thread ones, ... in the middle and for sake of completeness mentioning coarse "straight ahead thread" ones , meaning those which are "screwed in" .... with a hammer , so typical of MEF we have kept out madness completely logical.

By the way, what thread can be coarser than a couple ribs along "screw" sides?

EDIT: as of the "transition" from (proper) left thread to (improper) right thread ones, I bet somebody at one of the "reproduction vintage parts" got a complaint from Randall : "hey, I canīt screw these in my front baffle" and they said "wtf? ... that dumb Chinese supplier must have made a mistake copying the sample we sent" and from that point on ordered the "right thread" ones.
              Last edited by J M Fahey; 04-28-2019, 01:40 PM.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This one time I didn't have a hammer, only a file & a screwdriver, so I turned all my nails into screws. S'okay, I got paid by the hour.

Sorry, inspired by your straight-thread screws that go inn with a hammer.

Jusrin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                X