Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F6A build: first time using 220V tap

Hi guys,

I've built over 10 5F6A's over the years and have to build one for 220V mains.
    I'm going to be using the Classictone 40-18029 PT and was wondering, besides putting in a fuse with half rating of 110, are there any other things I need to be aware of?

Do you have 220v to test it?

Comment

Out of curiosity: Where is the amp going to be used? (Europe has 230V mains.)
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
        Do you have 220v to test it?
        I will be buying a step up transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Out of curiosity: Where is the amp going to be used? (Europe has 230V mains.)
          UK.

Comment

Apparently the transformer has primary taps for 100V, 120V, 220V and 240V.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Whilst the eu harmonised official uk nominal mains is 230V, in reality it’s still maintained at the pre harmonised 240V.
              Dunno how much difference the 50Hz would make.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                Apparently the transformer has primary taps for 100V, 120V, 220V and 240V.
                Definitely use the 240V tap for the UK.
                I often measure over 250V here (mid Cheshire)

Comment

Thanks Dave....i was going on what my buddy told me but 240V is right.

Comment

So other than using the 240 tap, the rest stays the same?
                    Someone told me to use a lower rated fuse.

Comment

That "Thumbs Up" wasn't to say "use a smaller fuse." It was meant as "I have seen the same proposition & have the same question."

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
                        So other than using the 240 tap, the rest stays the same?
                        Someone told me to use a lower rated fuse.
                        The mains/primary fuse for 240V should have half the current rating of the 120V version as primary current is reduced by around 50% for the same power.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Can you find the correct Mains plug to ship with the amp ? Will the amp have an IEC inlet and the customer will supply a Mains cord set ?
                          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                          X