Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarization of T-Top pickups question

Hi everybody,
    I have a set of T-Tops in the shelf. Unlike other Gibson HBucking pickups which feature positive polarization on the screw side bobbins, this set goes w. a screw side negative polarization on both pickups.
    Anybody knows if this is possible w. Gibson HBuckers? I once had a set of T-Tops that had the regular screw side bobbin south polarization. Keeps me wondering.

Originally posted by Telemachos View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I have a set of T-Tops in the shelf. Unlike other Gibson HBucking pickups which feature positive polarization on the screw side bobbins, this set goes w. a screw side negative polarization on both pickups.
    Anybody knows if this is possible w. Gibson HBuckers? I once had a set of T-Tops that had the regular screw side bobbin south polarization. Keeps me wondering.
    Hi Telemachos
    What is positive polarization ? magnets are either North South or non magnetized. If it helps i've got a t top in my hand and the screw side is polarized South. I'm sure there are some pickups out there where the magnets got swapped or put back in the pickup the wrong way.

Cheers Lg,
    Andrew

Comment

nearly all Gibson humbuckers have N on the slug side
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
        ........."i've got a t top in my hand and the screw side is polarized South. I'm sure there are some pickups out there where the magnets got swapped or put back in the pickup the wrong way.

Cheers Lg,
        Andrew
        Yepp, that's what I was referring to. On my T Tops the screw side is north on both pickups. If it was just one pickup that would be an accident, but two the same way w. screw side north puzzles me.

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
          nearly all Gibson humbuckers have N on the slug side
          I haven't seen any Gibson pickups w. the screw side being north. Have you ever come across those?

Comment

I haven't seen any Gibson pickups w. the screw side being north. Have you ever come across those?
            no, Sir - I have not
            Jack Briggs

sigpic
            www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Yepp, that's what I was referring to. On my T Tops the screw side is north on both pickups. If it was just one pickup that would be an accident, but two the same way w. screw side north puzzles me.
              Hi Telemachos

What are you using to check the polarity. It might sound daft but if you use a compass when it points north it's reading a south polarized magnet.

Cheers
              Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                it's an digital device that has been custom made for my needs. It works perfectly accurate. Thanks for mentioning possible confusions though.

Comment

I've seen one of those kind of meters that's been accidentaly programed in reverse polarity, and needed to be reprogrammed to the correct polarity! just thought i'd mention it.
                  Cheers.
                  Andrew

Comment

I never saw a T-Top with reverse magnetic polarity, neither 60s nor 70s. But T-Top bobbins were used for 10 to 15 years, so you never know. I remember reading that in some 3 PU SGs the middle PU was reverse polarity. Are you sure your PUs are original?
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If you use a gauss meter negative means south and positive means north. Most gibbies hav
                      e south at the screw poles but I have found gibbies with north at the adjustable poles from time to time- early 70s maybe? The minis occasionally and johnny smiths- I dont recall ever seeing a T top that way but i wouldnt be shocked if I did see one.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                        Are you sure your PUs are original?
                        Yes, they definitely are

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
                          If you use a gauss meter negative means south and positive means north.
                          jason, I'm using an electronic gauss meter that also gives me the polarity, It's very accurate and shows all correct readings on other pickups. Yes, so far all Gibson HB pickups that I have taken readings of had the common polarity where the screw side was always south.

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
                          I dont recall ever seeing a T top that way but i wouldnt be shocked if I did see one.
                          Looks like I have a shocking rare set in the shelf Anyway, it works as a set but won't if combined w. the reg. HB. Thanks for chiming in guys

Comment

If you use a gauss meter negative means south and positive means north.
                            As long as you don't reverse the probe head. Actually I don't think there is any convention /standard regarding the display polarity. My AlphaLab magnetometer came with a symmetrical probe without any marking for "correct" orientation.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                              As long as you don't reverse the probe head. Actually I don't think there is any convention /standard regarding the display polarity. My AlphaLab magnetometer came with a symmetrical probe without any marking for "correct" orientation.
                              My gauss meter shows a minus sign on all HB slug side coils that I've measured so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X