Mesa M-Pulse 600 Output BIAS/Current Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa M-Pulse 600 Output BIAS/Current Sharing

MP600 is not making full power; have to max-out the main/master gain control to get loud. I'm essentially only pushing the preamp more to get any decent volume out of it. In checking the SSP 600B power block, I believe there's a gross mismatch in mV drop across .22 ohm source resistors. For example, Q4 reads 14.8mV, decreasing to 13.6mV at Q1 (22% difference). If that wasn't bad enough, the variance between Q4 and Q2 is 32%. I don't think this is what I should be seeing, as the N-channel devices are sharing current a lot better. Those are all within +/- 10% of each other. I made a JPG chart but can't upload it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by PJay1 View Post
    MP600 is not making full power; have to max-out the main/master gain control to get loud. I'm essentially only pushing the preamp more to get any decent volume out of it. In checking the SSP 600B power block, I believe there's a gross mismatch in mV drop across .22 ohm source resistors. For example, Q4 reads 14.8mV, decreasing to 13.6mV at Q1 (22% difference). If that wasn't bad enough, the variance between Q4 and Q2 is 32%. I don't think this is what I should be seeing, as the N-channel devices are sharing current a lot better. Those are all within +/- 10% of each other. I made a JPG chart but can't upload it. Any help greatly appreciated.
    13.6mV vs 14.6mV is just 8%, not 22%.

How does is behave if you plug into the return jack and set the FX pot to WET?

If still poor, check the input to the power stage. With a 200mVpp sine wave input, what is the Vpp at V2B grid, V2B plate and V2A cathode?
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Sorry, I made a mistake on the mV readings. The difference between Q1 and Q2 is 13.6mV and 11.2mV respectively (22% variance). The 32% variance is correct between Q4 and Q2 (11.1mV and 14.8mV). Unfortunately, I don’t have immediate access to my test gear for waveforms.

Comment

In any case, a small (or large) bias current difference between power transistors is completely unrelated to your problem, which is a preamp gain one, or connector related.

Sadly, you´ll need to inject 100mV 1kHz at the input and follow it along the signal chain, there´s no other way to find the problem.
        yet at least make this basic test:
        a) play your Bass into preamp input, connect Preamp out to another power amp input, even if a humble Loop Return on *any* amplifier you have available, even a Guitar one, does your preamp drive it properly?
        b) play into another amplifier, connect its Pre/Line out to Mesa powwer ampinput ... is it loud now?
        c) plug a regular guitar cord from Pre out to power amp in or same in Lopop send/receive.did you get your gain back?
        That problem is so common that it has its own stickie here, something like "the dreaded swiching jack problem" go figure.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

FX switching jack problems did not have any effect on performance; I cleaned them as preventative maintenance. Next step is to do the swap chaining of preamp/poweramp stages and go from there.

Comment

Working...
          X